Infusing Herbs for a Salve

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacykins

Reaction score
I was wondering about infusing herbs. I have some jojoba oil(about 6oz), beeswax (3 oz), and dried chamomile and lavender. I use the chamomile for tea on a regular basis. I'd love to infuse the jojoba oil with the lavender and chamomile, and maybe make a small tin of lotion/salve. The smell of the two herbs combined would be wonderful.

So how would I go about infusing? I know it'll take some time. Do I mix in X amount of lavender and X amount of chamomile, and let it stew for a week weeks? Or do I have to keep straining out and replacing the herbs every few days?

From experience, the longer the better with infusing herbs into oils. There are different schools of thought on whether you should do it out in the sun or in a dark place. I do it in the sun (like sun-tea, lol). As long as there is ABSOLUTELY no water on your herbs and they are COMPLETELY dry, and your bottle is clean with no moisture before you start, you can do it in the sun. Well, actually that goes for sun and dark, but it's more important in the sun. You don't want any mold growing. the heat from the sun would accelerate this.

It should stand a minimum of 3-4 weeks. Shaken each day. Myself...I stop and shake every chance I get. LOL. Strain through a cheese cloth. Add a few drops of grapefruit seed extract or Vit E for good measure (preservative) and you're good to go.

You could also do it over low heat on the stove for a few hours or in a crock pot....if you're in a hurry. I've never done either of these myself.

And no, you don't have to change the herbs at all. You want to get all the goodness out of the herb. If you keep changing it, you won't get it all.

Kim

I've read that if you put the oil on the stove and heat it, not so that it boils but so it steams pretty much, and put the herbs in it; it will infuse the oil that way as well then you strain in to a clean jar and leave it in a dark place for about a week shaking it every so often as well. Would this work as well as doing it like sun tea?

Latest posts

Back