infusing gromwell root powder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTAnton

Reaction score
well, I've got my collection of infused botanicals going;comfrey, paprika,mandarin orange peel, turmeric,annatto and the gromwell root.Heated them gently in a crockpot and now have them stored in a dark cupboard.The comfrey, which is using the leaves and not the roots as well as the paprika look great, the olive oil is beautifully colored.Oh, least I forget the alkanet as well, another one that looks totally ready to use.The orange peel beats out the turmeric for intensity of color in the oil. Last is the gromwell root.Theres a slight tinting to the oil but far from the intense color I've seen online in other people's infusions. Yes, I have gromwell root infusion envy!I've also heard of people storing these for months....it's still cold here so the kitchen cupboard isn't getting above 70 . I go in regularly and shake up the jars to presumably help matters along.Does the passage of time allow for a substantial increase in this process? I'm thinking they all went through heating in the crockpot where the temperature was kept below 130F. Should I have gone above that temperature? Just curious what other peoples experiences have been...thanks!

Gromwell root is hard as a stone. Is it chopped finely? I don't use direct heat on my infusions because I also use many of them for salves and I have concerns about the oil going rancid more quickly then it would otherwise. I also have concerns about the herbs being heated. <----- but those are my thoughts. You do you.

It may take a good long time for a cold infusion of gromwell root to change colors.

Latest posts

Back