Inexpensive Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yadonm

Reaction score
If you had to make the very best soap possible for little cost what ingredients would you use?

What is the key here - low cost or best soap?

I would say a 55% Olive Oil, 25% Palm Oil and 20% Coconut Oil is a fairly stable basic that won't cost the earth. It won't have people stroking their skin like a Fairy advert, but it'll do the job well and is a good starting point

The best possible for a modest price. I would say a creamy and sudsy bath bar.

cheap:

100% crisco (altho over here crisco is **** expensive, but i heard that's not the case in the US where supply is abundant?)

40% palm, 20% coconut, 40% canola (our palm and coconut are pretty cheap, but olive is expensive, so canola is an alternative)

personal preference for me:

35% palm, 20% coconut, 21% olive, 20% canola, 4% castor

w/o the castor:

35% palm, 20% coconut, 25% olive, 20% canola

there's a video by soaping101 about making soap using ingredients from the dollar store:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWnqXTqZTvU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWnqXTqZTvU[/ame]

i reckon it's a decent soap, with clever use of the right additives, you can still pamper your skin :)

some nice additives you can use: goats milk, cow milk, yoghurt, cream, honey, oatmeal, coffee grounds or poppy seeds for exfoliants, coconut milk, buttermilk, and the list goes on...

Last edited:
What I call Grocery Store Soap can be made for a very reasonable price. You can get all the ingredients at Walmart, the Castor oil is in the pharmacy section.

27% coconut oil
27% olive oil
42% hydrogenated vegetable oil
4% Castor oil

I'm fortunate to have a source of fresh goats milk and I love making soap with Gm. I'm just curious what others use as a go to affordable soaping recipe. I love using luxury oils but my DH lost his job and we're 2 years too young to collect full Social Security. The thought of not being able to continue with my soaping obsession is a horrible thought. Your suggestions are very helpful. Thanks.

You can get scraps from a local grocery store and render your own tallow. Maybe your own lard as well. Also, you can do things like save your bacon grease and beef drippings.

I have heard of soapers who get old frying oil from restaurants,clean it and use that.

That's right, I saw a YouTube on something called "Frog Soap" ---From Reclaimed Oil & Glycerin.

I agree goat milk makes a difference in the feel of regular recipes. If you are not ruling our Palm oil, you can buy the hydrogenated type at a restaurant suppy for less than $1.00 per pound.The country listed on my box doesn't have rain forests, so that wasn't a concern. Also Walmart's beef shortening makes a great soap if you aren't keeping it vegan, and so does lard. I would try to cut my costs in the fragrance area.
You just never know, some neighbors or friends may trade supplies for soap, this year I wasn't able to do any Christmas craft fairs, so I decided to donate a Hugh amount of soap. one of the agencies that I donated to just gave me a nice gift certificate for soap supplies.

One of my favorite soaps is one of my cheapest to make, about 75% lard and 25% coconut oil. I get lard from a local meat packer for around $.80/lb and as far as I am concerned, it is hard to beat lard in soap!

HEHE I already make the cheapest soap. Our own lard and milk. I buy coconut cheap and safflower HO oil local. Now adding a bit of palm too since I do not buy two ingredients anymore.

I'd go with GV Shortening from Wal Mart (the one that says animal fat), lard, olive oil from Sam's and some castor.

You just never know, some neighbors or friends may trade supplies for soap, this year I wasn't able to do any Christmas craft fairs, so I decided to donate a Hugh amount of soap. one of the agencies that I donated to just gave me a nice gift certificate for soap supplies.

Wow, you must have given them a HUGE amount! How nice of them to give you something besides a thank-you for the soap.

I would go with good, old lard myself and some inexpensive OO. I don't like the feel of a Crisco soap. I would skip the scents as someone mentioned. However, my oatmeal and honey soap has a nice earthy scent that I love. Just those two ingredients will give you a better feel and scent.

roseb yes about 100 lbs. I had been making soap for the Holiday craft fairs for three months, had found some great shows, and was really excited. Then my sister needed me to help her with her family about 400 miles away. It really made me feel better that the soap was being given away. The gift certificate was totally unexpected!

OliveOil, I agree. It is a good feeling. My 15 or so pounds are nothing compared to your generosity. But I did feel good helping out a group that benefits from and appreciates those who help. I was fixing up and moving to a "new" home (as well as school starting) about the time I should have been making lots of soap. So I did not make it to those fall/Holiday shows either.

Olive oil, lard, coconut oil, castor. All ingredients you can buy at Walmart. No shipping, no waiting either and cheap. Makes one of my favorite soaps using this combo. Lots of suds and ultra creamy lather.

I will further advise the lard, coconut, olive oil recipe. That was the first 2 batches I made that addicted me to soaping. I did not even use castor oil in those, and they were sudsy enough.

Latest posts

Back