Increasing moisterizing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdranch

Reaction score
I'd like to tweak my recipe to make it more moisturizing. I'd like to keep a really nice lather. I use goat's milk, oo, co, po, and have bounced back and forth with cocoa and shea butter. What can I up or add to get more moisturizing, not get slimy lather but keep a good lather?

Thanks for any replies :)

What you really want to do is decrease the cleansing. If you have a formula you like, try increasing your superfat/lye discount.

Thanks for the reply Carebear :)

I am at 20% CO. I am running it through soapcalc and watching my values. Every time I drop the % I lose a lot of bubble lather with the cleaning. What is the min. co I can get away with?

jdranch - that's a good question and I'd be curious about the answer as well.

In the meantime, there are a couple of other things that help with the lather - adding castor oil (I've been doing around 10% castor oil) and/or adding sugar (1 Tbsp PPO) is supposed to help. The castor oil definitely works well.

SudsyKat said:
jdranch - that's a good question and I'd be curious about the answer as well.

In the meantime, there are a couple of other things that help with the lather - adding castor oil (I've been doing around 10% castor oil) and/or adding sugar (1 Tbsp PPO) is supposed to help. The castor oil definitely works well.

thanks for the reply :) wow- I am really liking the soap calc #s more by putting in Castor oil. I have never used it before but I am going to try this tomorrow! I think I will put in the sugar too.

Thanks again for the reply :)

cwarren said:
careful sugar makes it hot

thanks for the heads up! I saw another post on sugar- I will go ask my sugar questions there. eek!

don't drop your coconut oil, just increase your lye discount.

if you really want to drop the coconut oil, try replacing with some palm kernel oil or babassu - both are very similar but some find them less drying.

carebear said:
don't drop your coconut oil, just increase your lye discount.

if you really want to drop the coconut oil, try replacing with some palm kernel oil or babassu - both are very similar but some find them less drying.

I bought some Palm Kernel oil today :)

i do castor at 5-7%, it increases bubbles. i also add sugar at a rate of a heaping teaspoon per pound of oil; also increases bubbles.

as far as moisturizing, what % palm are you using, and what % oo are you using.

to me, palm is a drying oil (my opinion). i also try to keep my coconut oil below 27%.

I made a batch without CO, soapcalc gave it 0 cleansing 1 bubbly but the soap has good bubbles and it is creamy, leaves skin super hydrated. the recipe had OO, PO, CB & Castor oil, SF 10%

Don't be a slave to the soap quality numbers on the calculators - they are a loose guide at best.

I've posted before that I regularly soap with 75% coconut oil and it isn't drying - the secret is in the BALANCE of the oils and the lye discount.

Latest posts

Back