In a washable oil, does beeswax change which emulsifier is needed?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paragon

Reaction score
I understand massage oils, oil rinses, and oil-based lubes can include emulsifiers if they are intended to be washed off more easily. I've read enough posts to polysorbate 80 seems the most popular emulsifier for this purpose. My question is: if the formulation includes a non-oil like silicone or beeswax or both, is an additional emulsifier needed to bring that ingredient along for the ride when the product is washed off? I want to experiment with using more beeswax--I speculate that it may add hardness while also interfering with crystallization of other ingredients (giving firmness without solidifying)--but I want to be sure it can be washed off easily with soap. Is one emulsifier enough, or is it a lot harder to make a wax washable than an oil?

And obviously if you're gonna wash with soap you ostensibly don't need an emulsifier in the product, but tell that to anyone that has had to wash silicone off their skin.

I personally haven't used beeswax in an oil product I want to emulsify by adding water later. I make a cleansing oil that I use Poly 80 in as well as a small amount of emulsifying wax to thicken it just enough that it doesn't run out of my hands. I also make a cleansing balm that is thick like a balm made with beeswax but instead of beeswax I use emulsifying wax, Poly 80, stearic acid, and cetyl alcohol. Doesn't really answer your beeswax question but does give an alternative option :)

instead of beeswax I use emulsifying wax, Poly 80, stearic acid, and cetyl alcohol. Doesn't really answer your beeswax question but does give an alternative option :)
Thanks, that is much appreciated. I will make more and will try the thickeners you suggested. Stearic acid was already on my list. I also found out my gut feeling was that dissolving the right type of solid could prevent freezing wasn't actually a gut feeling: it's from the article on freezing point depression I read some months ago. Though there's a lot I don't know on this topic, like why some adding cocoa butter increases freezing. I suppose cocoa butter can too easily form a crystal structure with the other ingredients, but that's a guess.

Back