The most basic-est conditioner recipe possible?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought it to make a hair paste for my son when he had a haircut he actually styled. Lol he used it twice I think! But I love it for our hair. I started using it after I read this article:

https://www.bustle.com/articles/923...-have-you-reconsidering-your-beloved-shea-for
“Kokum butter is ideal for scalp treatments to promote strong roots and a nourishing atmosphere for all that new hair growth. The thing that makes this butter stand out is the fact that it isn't as greasy as cocoa butter and the light fragrance isn't as noticeable as shea butter. Kokum butter does not like to be heated, so liquefying works best in a blender. I like to blend my kokum butter with equal parts of camellia and coconut oil, then massage onto my scalp as a nightly treatment. This treatment is amazing for those suffering from hair loss due to chemical treatments because it's restorative in nature and will jumpstart those hair follicles.”

I try not to fall for every article I read on the internet but I figured it couldn’t hurt! Lol!
I’m going to give that lol I’m butter scalp treatment a try, thank you for posting it!

As for the vinegar recommendation, I can agree that it works very, very well. Unfortunately, people with sensitive sniffers can still smell it in your hair even after it has dried, unless you have another scent to cover it. Ask me how I know. ;-)
[/QUOTE]
AliOop, I use Queen of Hungary Water instead of plain ACV which leaves an herby floral scent in its wake. Here is one recipe I use a lot: Queen of Hungary’s Water

@Tara_H I have very thick, curtly, dry hair that tangles when wet. It is currently short, but till this past November, it was down to my elbow when straightened. I have no trouble working the conditioner bars through my hair either way.

With the recipe I linked, the only two ingredients you’d need to buy are BTMS and cetearyl alcohol. You can use whatever oil and butter you want instead of those she lists. And you can leave out the other extras I mentioned, as well. So the recipe would be:

Heated (primary) phase
15.00g | 30% BTMS-50
15.00g | 30% cetearyl alcohol
7.50g | 15% butter of choice
7.50g | 15%oil of choice

Secondary phase
0.50g | fragrance of choice
0.50g | 1% Optiphen
2.25g | 4.5% distilled water

You can split the additional 3.51% (from the removed ingredients) between the oils, butters, and BTMS. I personally love the addition of panthenol and silk in both bars and liquids, but I understand if you don’t want to buy more stuff. I recently used LGP instead of Optiphen (because I ran out of it) so I had to let it cool down further before adding it.

FYI on the lemon juice recommendation: if your hair leans towards dry, this can dry it further. It can also lighten your hair considerably, depending on your hair’s receptivity to lightening agents.

As for the vinegar recommendation, I can agree that it works very, very well. Unfortunately, people with sensitive sniffers can still smell it in your hair even after it has dried, unless you have another scent to cover it. Ask me how I know. ;-)

What does the cetearyl alcohol bring to the party? That's the only ingredient I don't have.

@Tara_H I have very thick, curtly, dry hair that tangles when wet. It is currently short, but till this past November, it was down to my elbow when straightened. I have no trouble working the conditioner bars through my hair either way.

With the recipe I linked, the only two ingredients you’d need to buy are BTMS and cetearyl alcohol. You can use whatever oil and butter you want instead of those she lists. And you can leave out the other extras I mentioned, as well. So the recipe would be:

Heated (primary) phase
15.00g | 30% BTMS-50
15.00g | 30% cetearyl alcohol
7.50g | 15% butter of choice
7.50g | 15%oil of choice

Secondary phase
0.50g | fragrance of choice
0.50g | 1% Optiphen
2.25g | 4.5% distilled water

You can split the additional 3.51% (from the removed ingredients) between the oils, butters, and BTMS. I personally love the addition of panthenol and silk in both bars and liquids, but I understand if you don’t want to buy more stuff. I recently used LGP instead of Optiphen (because I ran out of it) so I had to let it cool down further before adding it.

FYI on the lemon juice recommendation: if your hair leans towards dry, this can dry it further. It can also lighten your hair considerably, depending on your hair’s receptivity to lightening agents.

AliOop, I use Queen of Hungary Water instead of plain ACV which leaves an herby floral scent in its wake.
@Janewoc17 Thank you for sharing; that looks like a great recipe!
@Janewoc17 Thank you for sharing; that looks like a great recipe!
Any recommendations for a scale? My only goes down to 1gm. I guess I could increase the recipe.

Thank your u! Now they track down ingredients! So far, no one shop has everything I need for both conditioner and shampoo bars—I’m looking at humblebee &me French green clay shampoo bar. And the more Mango.
I get most of my stuff for shampoo and conditioner from makeyourown.buzz
You can probably find just about everything you need there. And the best part is, they have better prices than pretty much everyone else.

I get most of my stuff for shampoo and conditioner from makeyourown.buzz
You can probably find just about everything you need there. And the best part is, they have better prices than pretty much everyone else.
Thank you! I will check them out. I found most of what I needed at The Herbarie, then freaked at the $30 shipping and we are in the same state!

Latest posts

Back