I'm in a quandary about recipes posted on web sites

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was curiously looking at different web sites by suppliers. Quite a few have recipes. I guess what I don't understand though, is why try to find that perfect recipe so it's safe for everyone, doesn't melt quick, doesn't have as much potential for DOS, etc. when many of these web sites have recipes that are perfect examples of all of the above? I've been so cautious about about selling because maybe my soap was too drying, too much coconut oil, or maybe it'll have DOS in a year too much hemp, rice oil , or maybe it'll melt too quick. Then, when I look at some of these recipes, I think, gosh how can they post those, knowing all those things might happen and someone might use that recipe to sell thinking it's good and won't have problems? I must think life is black and white and there's only the perfect answer? What is truly considered a "bad" soap? Thanks all! I'm still going to PT--haven't been on awhile, but slowly getting back to normal.

Couldn't you just be a bit more “offensive” about some double-edged qualities? Like, explain where your limited best-by dates come from (race against natural decay of PUFAs), disclose your CO percentage and explain why it is important, and whom you'd recommend your high-CO and low-CO soaps (and make those ruthless businessmen look stupid when they don't).
When I'm shopping somewhere, I'm glad when I get the impression that the seller doesn't just want to sell me as much as possible, but also informs me about reasons for and against some products, i. e. I'd leave the store not only with the product, but also with knowledge and understanding.
But this a double-edged sword as well, to not confuse/distract customers, avoid health claims (legal issues), and not sound like tuning in into esoteric FUD hearsay.

Latest posts

Back