Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuneP

Reaction score
Me and my furry kids came home yesterday after two months of living and under the care of relatives who also happen to be great friends. I'm still on my walker but able to put 50% of my body weight on my healing leg. It felt so good to sleep in my own bed and be able to be strong enough to take care of myself.

I cooked my own breakfast this morning and took my first shower in 2 months. Thank God for my shower chair and my shower head with a flex hose! Between yesterday and today I also unpacked my clothes, loads of vitamins, electronics devices, etc. etc; and got all of those hooked up as well. I was amazed that my energy held after doing so much, but it did.

In 9 to 10 days my surgeon says I can walk on my own, with 100% of my weight on both legs. I hope I make a lot more progress in the next week because the ham string on the broken leg is causing me a lot of discomfort/pain that is really interfering with my sleep. I'm fine walking and sitting but doing my therapeutic exercises, at least some of them, are irritating it even more.

When I got home I paid a local gal I had hired before hand to do a huge grocery shopping for me. So now the freezer and fridge are filled to the max with TV dinners and meats, fruits and veggies, that I hope to alternate with the TV dinners. Also got a call from the body shop this morning that my car is finally finished and will be delivered on Monday. I've hired a gal that my son uses as a personal assistant when he's up here, to take it for the emission test before driving it back to my house; and nine to ten days from now my surgeon says I can drive again. For a while it was a toss up as to whether the car or me would be fixed first. The car is beating me by 9 days!

I will probably be a bit edgy about driving again after the trauma of the accident, so I'm figuring that I'll stick to short necessary trips just to town for necessary groceries and garden items. I can't wait to get into my garden, which I can't do until I can walk without the walker. I've peeked out from the back porch and was surprised that things looks pretty good considering there's been no one in the garden to feed it and watch over it, other than the gardeners cutting the lawn and pulling a few obvious weeds here and there.

I was thrilled to see that my little Meyer Lemon tree )AKA the margarita tree) on the back porch has about 8 tiny, raisin sized baby lemons on it thanks to the warm spell in March that allowed me to put it outdoors when it was flowering, to be pollinated. If all 8 ripen I'll get a nice large batch of margaritas made with those!

Welcome home indeed! Sleeping in your own bed, (and knowing you can get in/out yourself) is wonderful isn't it! Congratulations to your healing so well.

That's wonderful news, June. I'm glad your recovery is going so well, and I'm sure you are feeling so much better just being at home, in your own bed and surrounded by your own things. It's the little things that often bring the most comfort. You've been a good patient.

That is great news! You have come so far, so fast! Keep up the good work! I know the exercises are literally a pain, but keep them up, you need full function back, and that is the only way to get it. People who do the exercises, even when they hurt, have much, much better function long term.

There's nothing like being in your own home after being away. Wishing you a speedy recovery. All the little details will settle themselves out in time. You need to find a comfy chair, sit in the garden and enjoy those margaritas while you recuperate. All the best!

smiley-gets-a-big-hug.gif

June, how wonderful it must be to be back in your own home. I hope all your margarita seeds grow up big and juicy - you deserve to have a few fiestas after all you've been through. :)

Oh June, I'm so happy for you! Just being in your own home, with your own things, being able to perform daily tasks without help, is really going to put the cherry on the ice cream sundae of recovery. You're in the home stretch now!

Getting to drive again would be the single most important milestone for me. Well, maybe not, but it would be right up there, without a doubt.

It sounds like you are progressing very well. It's great that you have the help you need, but also that you are on the road to independence once again.

June, how wonderful it must be to be back in your own home. I hope all your margarita seeds grow up big and juicy - you deserve to have a few fiestas after all you've been through. :)

I counted the teeny, tiny Meyer lemons and there are ten, not eight, I was so happy, Of course, my happiness didn't last to long because I saw the scale problem was back, so I sat there a while removing all I could. Tomorrow I'll see if I can find the alcohol and some Qtips and do a more thorough job of it.

There's nothing like being in your own home after being away. Wishing you a speedy recovery. All the little details will settle themselves out in time. You need to find a comfy chair, sit in the garden and enjoy those margaritas while you recuperate. All the best!

Unfortunately I can't sit in the garden until I can walk without the walker. My house has about 7 or more steps both at the front and back of the house, so walking in the garden is out until I no longer need to use the walker. But, I can get a pretty good view of the garden from the back porch and I have two big pots with jasmine vines there, and some windows boxes sitting on the floor with herbs and my little Meyer Lemon tree which I just discovered has ten instead of eight baby meyer lemons. The scale I had gotten rid of is back, so I sat there for a good amount of time hand removing those critters.

I'm so happy for you. Being in your own home, surrounded by your own things is the best feeling in the world. Glad your recovery is going so well. Ten days is nothing compared to what you've accomplished so far!

Back