If I sell only one olive oil soap, what scent should it be, if any?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that having a selection of scented and a few unscented will serve you well. I have 30 fragrances and there is always one or two that people ask for that I don't have. so, you won't please everyone but you'll cover most.

I decided to make some scented and some unscented as many recommended. I may even make more than one scent, but for my first batch I scented them with ylang ylang eo. I was also trying to to have to many scents as I make each scent/batch in 3 shapes (small bars that ship cheaply, large bars that are long lasting, and flowers for a more fancy shape). This means if I make 15 scents I end up with 45 different products.

I ended up making them 70% olive oil and 30% pko hoping the 30% pko will prevent them from getting as slimy as 100% oo soaps. My previous 60% oo and 40% hard oils soaps came out great and I hope these come out as good as I prefer this simpler recipe with more olive oil if it comes out good as it's closer to 100% oo soap since it has more oo and only one other oil.

I'm going to wait 1-2 months for these to cure to get a better idea of how this 70% oo 30% pko recipe comes out, if I like it I'll make my other olive oil soaps like this too, otherwise I'll go back to my 60% oo 40% hard oils recipe which comes out just like I want them (very similar to 100% oo soaps without the slimy goo).

Last edited:
I sell more unscented Goat's Milk Olive Oil soap than anything else. Can't make it fast enough.

I think it's always important to offer customers a choice of unscented soap. If someone asks me to suggest a soap for babies or children, I always feel comfortable steering them toward an unscented bar. Also, many people have sensitivities of one kind or another, and an unscented bar is always a good choice for them, too. Some people just want a soap that's as basic and simple as possible. What's simpler than a bar of unscented castile? Perfection in a bar of soap!:)

In the end I think I will make 3 olive oil soaps, one unscented, one ylang ylang and one citronella, do those seem like good choices for olive oil soaps?

Thanks

I don't care for citronella personally. I'd go with plain lavender for the third. It's classic, simple, very popular.

I wouldn't do citronella either. I think of it as something that people tolerate in those stinky candles that are supposed to keep Mosquitos away. I don't remember ever hearing anyone expressing a fondness for the scent.

There is a thread on the shaving soaps where I think we have Citronella pegged as the signiture scent of Arko shaving soap, which a lot of people liken to urinal fresheners! So it might not go down too well in a general soap..................

I have to say that referring to these as Olive oil soaps, even just in this thread, is somewhat confusing - many people use OO in all of their recipes to some %, it is just soap. What you are essentially asking with "what is a good scent for an olive oil soap" is "what is a good scent for a soap". Your olive oil soap is likely similar to many soaps that people just call soap.

Specifiying olive oil soap might give the impression, or at least it did to me, that it is a Castile or a very high OO Bastile. I know for you it is a difference because you don't use any OO in your other soaps, but it's worth bearing in mind that other people, especially customers, might well misunderstand what you are saying with it.

ETA - referring to them as soaps containing olive oil might well be a bit easier to understand, if not quite so easy on the tongue.

I personally love citronella but I don't know anyone else who does. I use lemongrass EO instead and its well received.

I agree with effy. We all mostly use OO in our recipes at some percentage. It's still just soap unless it's 100% OO then it's Castile. Or Bastile which is mostly Olive with other oils at smaller percentages. I think your calling them Olive Oils soaps could be considered misleading to some extent. I too would not use citronella.

Citronella reminds me too much of the fly spray I use on my horses.... if you want to go the herbal route, I'd suggest lavender, a mint of some type, or lemongrass. I personally can't stand lemongrass but it is popular.

I sell very few unscentd soaps. I keep on or two on hand and when a customer asks about them I offer to do a custom soap for them specificially, or they choose from the one or two available.

There is a thread on the shaving soaps where I think we have Citronella pegged as the signiture scent of Arko shaving soap, which a lot of people liken to urinal fresheners! So it might not go down too well in a general soap..................

I have to say that referring to these as Olive oil soaps, even just in this thread, is somewhat confusing - many people use OO in all of their recipes to some %, it is just soap. What you are essentially asking with "what is a good scent for an olive oil soap" is "what is a good scent for a soap". Your olive oil soap is likely similar to many soaps that people just call soap.

Specifiying olive oil soap might give the impression, or at least it did to me, that it is a Castile or a very high OO Bastile. I know for you it is a difference because you don't use any OO in your other soaps, but it's worth bearing in mind that other people, especially customers, might well misunderstand what you are saying with it.

ETA - referring to them as soaps containing olive oil might well be a bit easier to understand, if not quite so easy on the tongue.

On my website I list my current ones as "60% olive oil" to make it clear they are not 100% olive oil, isn't that enough to make it clear they aren't 100% olive oil soaps? Their texture and feel is completely different so they don't compare to the new soaps I'll be making which will be made of mostly hard oils.

About the scent I was trying to find a more "unisex" scent, lavender is a bit more feminine like ylang ylang and I personally detest the scent of lavender, but I still make lavender soaps as they are popular. Is there a more "unisex" scent I could use for my other olive oil soaps?

Thanks

I've actually never made a soap with sandalwood eo nor do I have any of that eo.

I just looked at the price of that EO, over $1000 for 250 ml? There's no way I'm putting an oil that's that expensive in my soaps, nor do I think they would sell very well at $50 a bar or whatever price I'd have to sell them at to cover that cost. I also don't use synthetic oils so that's not an option.

About frankincense I'll have to go smell the sample at the health food store as I have no idea what it smells but it's definitely more affordable but still a bit pricy.

Any more affordable eos that would work for a "uniseX" soap? Would patchouli be good? Any other ideas?

Thanks

I didn't realize you only use EO's. Patchouli is one to try, I personally like it very much and it blends well with other scents too. I got a sample of patch/lavender that was amazing and not feminine at all. The lav took the edge off the patch enough to make it more inviting to the masses.
I still think lemongrass would be a good choice.

I think Lavender is very popular, it's liked by both men and women and it's one of the gentlest essential oils so would probably be all right for sensitive skin.

On my website I list my current ones as "60% olive oil" to make it clear they are not 100% olive oil, isn't that enough to make it clear they aren't 100% olive oil soaps? Their texture and feel is completely different so they don't compare to the new soaps I'll be making which will be made of mostly hard oils.

About the scent I was trying to find a more "unisex" scent, lavender is a bit more feminine like ylang ylang and I personally detest the scent of lavender, but I still make lavender soaps as they are popular. Is there a more "unisex" scent I could use for my other olive oil soaps?

Thanks

Not wanting to stoke a fire, but while you might be marketing them as 60% OO, here you referred to them, often, as "olive oil soaps" and that is confusing. In fact, you did it again here in this quote. As so many people use OO reguarly, these are actually just "soap" to most soapers.

Lavender is very popular for men, too. Especially coupled with something deeper, such as Sandalwood- but as Sandalwood is not an option, maybe think of something along those lines.

Latest posts

Back