Ideas to make "aquatic" scent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aquatical

Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm a newbie to all this, and wonder if anyone more experienced in mixing and creating scents than I am could help me out. Basically, I've always loved a particular type of scent that, I think, in the perfume industry is called "aquatic" - if it helps, it showed up in Impulse's Moongrass body spray (now discontinued) and used to be in The Body Shop's Waterfruits product (discontinued even longer ago). There is a perfume out there that smells like it but I don't know the name, and I've smelled it in a reed diffuser that was the only one not labelled in the shop.

Does anyone know a) the scent I mean, and b) how I could recreate it with essential oils, please? I'd love to be able to make it at home!

Here is an EO blend that I like:
Lavender 1 1/2 parts
Rosemary 1 part
Bergamot 1 part
Eucalyptus 1/2 part

Using weights to make one ounce of the blend
Lavender .38 oz
Rosemary .25 oz
Bergamot .25 oz
Eucalyptus .12 oz

Lavender 1 1/2 parts
Rosemary 1 part
Bergamot 1 part
Eucalyptus 1/2 part

Lavender .38 oz
Rosemary .25 oz
Bergamot .25 oz
Eucalyptus .12 oz
I am not at all familiar with the scents you describe, but I will say it's nearly impossible to use E.O.s to recreate a fragrance. You may come up with something you like but it won't be identical to a certain water fragrance.

I thought the idea was to come up with an EO combination that would represent an aquatic fragrance. I don't agree that you can never match a fragrance. I have an EO combination that is a dead ringer for old spice and one that is on the dot for a baby powder FO.

I thought the idea was to come up with an EO combination that would represent an aquatic fragrance. I don't agree that you can never match a fragrance. I have an EO combination that is a dead ringer for old spice and one that is on the dot for a baby powder FO.
I should have said "generally " in "my experience" I am not able to do it. Yes I also have an Old Spice one. I would have no idea how to do a baby powder one. Good for you!

I'm not experienced enough to insist that dead ringers can be made, or to know for sure that they can't, but I figured that the scents made by Impulse, The Body Shop etc., had to come from somewhere. Thanks for your reply - it's encouraging to hear you've managed to come up with something that smells like Old Spice: it shows that theoretically, at least some scents can be replicated!

Lavender 1 1/2 parts
Rosemary 1 part
Bergamot 1 part
Eucalyptus 1/2 part

Lavender .38 oz
Rosemary .25 oz
Bergamot .25 oz
Eucalyptus .12 oz
This sounds awesome, it's been added to my bucket list.

Latest posts

Back