Ice Water?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

straberrystark

Reaction score
This might be silly, but when mixing water and lye together I know that some people use ice water or ice cubes. My question is: when you're using an ice bath or just ice instead of cold water, does there need to be any adjustment to the amount of water? What I mean is, if I regularly use 5 oz of cold water, does that mean I'd use 5 oz of ice/5 oz of water + ice cubes combined? Or does that change the amount I should be using entirely?

if I regularly use 5 oz of cold water, does that mean I'd use 5 oz of ice/5 oz of water + ice cubes combined? Or does that change the amount I should be using entirely?
This is why you should always use weight vs volume. Weight will always be the same regardless of the form it is in. So 5oz of ice water is going to be the same as 5oz of ice cubes, and the same as 5oz of luke warm or hot water. Weight is weight is weight.
Volume is what is different. 5oz of feathers is going to have a different volume than 5oz of bricks, etc., etc., but it's still going to weigh the same.

Back