I think I inhaled lye fumes ... do I need hospital ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds more like a reaction something in the soap. Did you use any FOs or EOs? You may have exposed yourself to something in a higher concentration than you have run into before and are reacting to that.
Also if you are having trouble breathing call a Dr! If you are seriously afraid you have a chemical burn in your lungs there are things that can be done to help it heal properly.

I can't tell you what the problem is, but I can tell you what it is not...lye.

I mix my soap on the stove with the vent hood running. Period. I use common sense and do not stick my face in the bowl and inhale. That is all the respiratory precautions I use.

I use disposable cheap paint respirator masks sec to self-inflicted COPD from long-term cigarette smoking habit. Haven't had a problem.

Just my opinion, but working outside is more difficult. You don't control the temperature nor humidity, and a breeze can make your ingredients mist about while pouring. And if you spill something on the ground, animals and kids might touch it. I prefer a controlled environment indoors, with ventilation. Sometimes the cook smell makes me feel a little quesy, but I'm very sensitive to any odor.

I fourth or whatever the no lye fumes at that point. When you mix your lye you will see steam coming off the mixture, that contains the lye fumes.

Thank you ALL.
I have a respirator; so I'm prepared.
I'm just a baby!
All this scared me.

I wouldn't worry too much unless the coughing starts happening on a regular basis. If I'm reading correctly it, just happened the one time. If the problem is lye you won't miss it- guaranteed! The reaction is a rather violent one, and you won't forget it. I understand being nervous though.
Anna Marie

Just my opinion, but working outside is more difficult. You don't control the temperature nor humidity, and a breeze can make your ingredients mist about while pouring. And if you spill something on the ground, animals and kids might touch it. I prefer a controlled environment indoors, with ventilation. Sometimes the cook smell makes me feel a little quesy, but I'm very sensitive to any odor.
Not to mention having to walk all over the place with a lye container. I think it's fraught with more danger than just mixing at the counter with a fan and then adding to your oils.

Latest posts

Back