I think CPOP hates me! PICS ADDED in update.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really, mixing lye and oils at RT? I should try that!

It was great seeing those photos. I don't have those problems with CPOP, and I love CPOP for its quickness, and my soap turns out well, but I get a sort of fluffy layer where my soap meets the silicone molds. Not very pretty. I usually use small guest soap molds so I want them to be pretty. As soon as you start using the soaps you rinse off the fluffy layer and the soaps looks great.

Does anyone know what this fluff is?

Dagmar, when you do your soaping at RT and then move it to fridge or freezer overnight I suppose the soap cures less than in the oven, am I right? So how long do you need to cure it afterwards?

I put it in my fridge (very cold fridge) to prevent gel. But you could pop your mold in the oven too.
My soap cures at least 6 weeks.

can you describe the "fluff" a little more? post a picture?

could be ash (probably is)

I'll post a picture. I don't have access to my files right now but I will tonight.

carebear said:
can you describe the "fluff" a little more? post a picture?

could be ash (probably is)

I think I know what she's talking about. Is it a kind of spongy layer on the top? I got that my first few batches, but found that if I cover it, I don't get it. Do you cover your mold in the oven?

are you the one that is selling your soap now? hope i dont get that one.lol.

Yes, a bit spongy. Sorry, I forgot to post pics. Hopefully I'll remember tonight. I do cover my forms, but the spongy part forms on the underside, where the soap touches the silicone form.

There's nothing wrong with the soap per se, it's just not as pretty as I want it to be.

honor435 said:
are you the one that is selling your soap now? hope i dont get that one.lol.
I don't recall seeing anything about selling, but ash is nothing to worry about. I have and sell soaps that ash - sometimes it actually accents the swirl and can be quite lovely but that's not the thick, fuzzy ash. with thick fuzzy ash plane it off if necessary.

4546048483_9c7be90f97.jpg

Hope this works. You see it quite well I think. I don't really mind it on these soaps, it's like Dagmar said, it makes the pattern clearer.

Maybe I should just do CP without the OP some time and see if I don't get the ash or whatever it's called.

:wink: It was Carebear who said that. Altough I do like that soap, I've never seen that 'spongy' layer before...

Oops, sorry for the mixup.

So it's not ash? Maybe it has something to do with my silicone forms, though I use several different ones and get the same results with all, whther they havebeen used before or are new.

Oooh, aw, so sorry Rikraks. That is disheartening. I had it happen to me in early days.....

I would just toss that whole batch in the garbage, don't try to repair it. Don't look back: only look forward. Begin again fresh and new!

G'luck next time! and thanks for honestly sharing your pics....it's not easy to show our failures, but it does teach us all. Thank you.

Back