I new and looking for any and all advice!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi My Name is Naomi and I live in BC, Canada. I have 4 children Madison (13) Meghan (12) Daniel (8) and Juliette (5). I home school my children and am always looking for hobbies/crafts that interest them. A few years ago my oldest DD Madison started beading and she now has been selling her creations at our local Farmer's Market and at a couple stores and now doing home parties. Last year I convinced my sis - in - law to make soap so she could join us at the Farmer's Market in the summer. She did and was quite sucessful. Unfortunately she had to move to Alberta, but people here are still asking for her soap. She gave me her basic recipe and I have started make soap with my second DD Meghan. We luv it! We are doing the basic CP - Coconut, palm, olive, sunflower. Some Fo some Eo. But I have tons of questions and the more I read the more questions I have. I was on a forum when I was pregnant with my son and I just remember what wonderful women were on there and I hope I can find that same comradery here. Feel free to message me as everyone else around me is tired of talking "soap" and Iwould love to learn from your experience... is you are willing to share ! :lol:

Hi Naomi,

Welcome to the forum! :D

That's very generous of your SIL to give you a recipe. It eliminates some of the trial and error of figuring out your own. I started with so many different oils and it took a long time to experiment to see which ones I preferred. How many batches have you and your daughter made?

I know what you mean about people around you being tired of talking about soap. My family and friends are sooo bored with my conversations. :lol: Have you looked at the tutorial site?

http://www.smftutorials.com/

Not only does it have tutorials for different crafts, it also has a FAQs section which may help to start to answer some of your questions.

Also, if you scroll down the index page, there's a section which is called "Recipe & Tutorials". There's a lot of posts which are very helpful to get you started so you're not overwhelmed by all the info in the beginning.

HTH

Thanks all!

I have been only been making soap by myself ( with DD)for just over a month. But I have made 15 CP batches and a bunch of MP. All I am doing is reading about soap - lol - and then making it!

Thanks Hazel!

Hazel said:
Wow! Fifteen batches in one month. Where are you curing it all? :lol:

I'd love to see some pics. :D

I actually am very fortunate because I have a spare house next door (lol a "spare" house - make sme sound rich or something ) My brother and his family lived in it but they moved away. My parents don't want to rent it out so they have let me use it to make soap in and I am thinking of opening a little store (??) during the summer. But there are so many things to think about - not just making soap but starting a business too! I am feeling very overwhelmed at times. While I am making the actual soap though I find it so relaxing and creative!

I have no idea how to post pics on here - I will try to figure it out. Thanks Hazel!

Re: Thanks all!

Mermaidmommaof4 said:
I have been only been making soap by myself ( with DD)for just over a month. But I have made 15 CP batches and a bunch of MP. All I am doing is reading about soap - lol - and then making it!
I don't know about you, but if I only made soap a month ago, I would not be ready to sell by summer. What do you know bout DOS? Or the staying power of fragrances or colors long term?

You sound like me. I homeschooled my 4 for many years (had to give it up for a variety of reasons) and once the soap bug bit, it's all I did (do). I finally had to pack all my mostly cured batches into a box to send to Clean the World to make room for the new ones!

soapbuddy said:
Mermaidmommaof4 said:
I don't know about you, but if I only made soap a month ago, I would not be ready to sell by summer. What do you know bout DOS? Or the staying power of fragrances or colors long term?

Now you've got me scared! :? What is DOS? Please let me know - I am eager to learn

Mermaidmommaof4 said:
soapbuddy said:
Mermaidmommaof4 said:

Now you've got me scared! :? What is DOS? Please let me know - I am eager to learn
DOS = Dreaded Orange Spots. You can find them here> http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewto ... ded+orange

Whew!

Nope I haven't seen DOS yet. Is it something that usually happens? I have my soaps on cardboard flats in cupboards with the doors slightly open. What are your suggestions??

Re: Whew!

Mermaidmommaof4 said:
Nope I haven't seen DOS yet. Is it something that usually happens? I have my soaps on cardboard flats in cupboards with the doors slightly open. What are your suggestions??
I would wait longer before you sell. It doesn't usually happen, but it can happen. How would you feel if one of your customers got some soap from you and it developed DOS and started to smell bad or rancid? I doubt that they would buy soap from you again and might speak negatively about all soapmakers.

How long would you wait?

I thought that you cured soap for 4-6 weeks?? If I wait too long doesn't the scent start to fade? Eager to learn from your experience!

Re: How long would you wait?

Mermaidmommaof4 said:
I thought that you cured soap for 4-6 weeks?? If I wait too long doesn't the scent start to fade? Eager to learn from your experience!
I always cure my soaps for 4 to 6 weeks. Quality fragrances should not fade in that time. I have some sample soaps that are at least a couple of years and you can still smell the scent.

So when do DOS usually show up? Now I am all stressed. What can you do if that happens? Do you need to throw away the bars?

Mermaidmommaof4 said:
So when do DOS usually show up? Now I am all stressed. What can you do if that happens? Do you need to throw away the bars?
DOS can show up from one week to months down the road. If the soap gets DOS it is not sellable. It also has a bad smell. I would trash it. That's why you need to know how your formula will do 3 months down the road or 6 months down the road. You need to make sure that your formula is stable and your oils are fresh.

Latest posts

Back