New here!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Daniel. I’m a blue collar carpenter, and into crafty homesteading type stuff. For years I was an easy mark for craft soaps at farmer’s markets and such, take my money! I picked up cold process soap making as a pandemic hobby, approaching year 2. I’m attempting to go natural and earth friendly as possible…. No palm, EO scent mostly, simple natural colors, gender neutral scents. I started out using recipes from a couple of the bestselling books, now throwing things together and using soapcalc, plus googling questions which often brings me here! Thanks for having me, look forward to learning more from the community. Thanks- Daniel

Welcome, welcome Daniel! This is a cool forum -- lots of tips and humor. I accidentally found it the first time I had a problem and googled. I had no idea there was this large sub-culture of soapers! I use EOs too, not sure why, just how I learned -- and am only a hobbyist. I likes me all the micas but sometimes use natural colorants as well. There are members here that do astonishing things with natural colorants. Have you used rosehip powder yet? It's pretty trippy.

Welcome.gif

I love it when Newbies join after they've learned as much as they can on their own! 😉 :thumbs:

Use the Magnifying Glass Icon in the upper right corner of this page to search for "Natural Colorants". So many to choose from -- your spice cabinet, clays, herbs, weeds like dandelion and yellow dock from your yard, etc. I'm partial to herbs -- HerbCo.com sells them in small 4 oz. sizes. Trust me, you don't want a pound of anything unless you have a lot of storage space!

Essential Oils Education is a good overview of things you need to be aware of when using EOs for fragrance. Use the Search feature to learn more about specific EOs.

Here's a fun thread to read through when you have nothin' better to do...

What Advice Would You Give to Your Beginning Soaping Self?

This thread will get you off on the right foot for getting help on the forum:

Advice to Newbies

Last, but not least, my Daddy was a carpenter! He taught me to "measure twice, saw once." Good advice for soap making too! :nodding:

Welcome, welcome Daniel! This is a cool forum -- lots of tips and humor. I accidentally found it the first time I had a problem and googled. I had no idea there was this large sub-culture of soapers! I use EOs too, not sure why, just how I learned -- and am only a hobbyist. I likes me all the micas but sometimes use natural colorants as well. There are members here that do astonishing things with natural colorants. Have you used rosehip powder yet? It's pretty trippy.
I have not tried rosehip powder! I have a couple micas and basic plant powders. I have mostly been using additives for color. A few different kinds of clay, activated charcoal, honey….stuff like that.

Just so you know, @daniel.banning -- @KiwiMoose loves her soaps so much she rarely gets out of her tub to greet someone. 🤣
LOL! I have probably a dozen soap scraps in my shower. I usually test out new bars within a few days of making, I can’t wait the full cure time! 🥴

View attachment 65153
I love it when Newbies join after they've learned as much as they can on their own! 😉 :thumbs:

Use the Magnifying Glass Icon in the upper right corner of this page to search for "Natural Colorants". So many to choose from -- your spice cabinet, clays, herbs, weeds like dandelion and yellow dock from your yard, etc. I'm partial to herbs -- HerbCo.com sells them in small 4 oz. sizes. Trust me, you don't want a pound of anything unless you have a lot of storage space!

Essential Oils Education is a good overview of things you need to be aware of when using EOs for fragrance. Use the Search feature to learn more about specific EOs.

Here's a fun thread to read through when you have nothin' better to do...

What Advice Would You Give to Your Beginning Soaping Self?

This thread will get you off on the right foot for getting help on the forum:

Advice to Newbies

Last, but not least, my Daddy was a carpenter! He taught me to "measure twice, saw once." Good advice for soap making too! :nodding:
That’s a lot of good resources and advice, thank you!

Back