I made my first sale

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat_pro

Reaction score
I made $10 tonight I'm so happy. My best friend came ove and I was showing her all my stuff that I was getting ready to sell. And she loved them so much that I was going to give her some testers for free, since she is my best friend. But she gave me $10 for two tester bars of soap a tester eyeshadow and powder foundation that I made specificaly for her skin type. She is so excited for me she is throwing a spa night featuring my stuff. So now I realy have to get organised. She says she is going to buy stuff off of me for the night and said we should set up a table. I have untill June 20th to get eveything ready, thank goodness I ordered $300 worth of supplies yesterday(6-10 days to get here, yikes).

Ok so I realy need some advice. So I would like to bring eyeshadow(OMG what colours), some powdered foundation, lip balms, lotion bars, soap, sugar scrub, whipped shea, makeup bags and purses. Perhaps some body mouse, some message oils, bath melt, a muscle rub, clay mask. Oh my goodness help me I don't know what to take or how much or what to make I don't have that many containers right now (going to have to hit the dollar store for those), gah.

I would simplify your selection to maybe five or six different types of products, like soap, bathbomb, etc. Then choose say five different fragrances, then make your items in each fragrance so you've got a selection.
Don't make it too much work for yourself, but people might like to buy a soap with matching bathbomb and matching whipped shea butter.
As for the mineral makeup, I'd stick with neutral colours like taupes and beiges and browns.

Congratulations , that is exiting , for sure. The spa night sounds like a blast.

Kitn

CONGRATS!! THAT SOOOOOO AWESOME I think chrissy's advice is good. too many selections and i think ppl get overwhelmed....matching products are good too

Woohoo! Congrats! That first sell is always just what is needed to build that momentum!

Eyeshadows, earthtones all the way, they work for most skin colors. Good luck.

Great for you!!! :D I agree with everyone -keep it simple so you don't get overwhelmed.

Perhaps have a list of custom items available for those who might be interested. Let us know how everything goes!!

Congrats!

Jude

Well done, I am happy for you too. I like variety but I see the wisdom in keeping it simple - often when I walk into a makeup shop, there are so many things to choose from - I kind of walk out thinking that I will go back when I make up my mind on what I want, and then I forget to go back. Sometimes when there is just a few items I think that I'd better get it before someone else comes along and snaps it up before I get a chance.

Congratulations, Kitkat! I agree with Chrissy. Make up 5 or 6 scents of each item, and go with that. You can also leave a list on the table of scents they can pre-order from you to pick up in a week or so.

Don't overwhelm yourself and take the fun out of it. It's funny though - I'll have a total dry spell for a couple weeks and just about the time I run out of a key ingredient, I'll get slammed with a big order...lol. We'd love to hear how it turns out for you! Good luck!

How old will most of the guesst be? That will determine a lot. Are they young & spunky? If so I would go w/ bolder colors & scents?

Think up some games & prizes. You could pass little paper bags around that have a bar of unlabeled soap in each one. Have each person try to guess the scents. the one w/ the most right gets to keep the bar of their choice.

Congrats! Agree with the advice given to keep it simple. Plus, if you have other product lines this gives a reason for people to book a spa night with you... to see what else you offer besides your basics. The color/scent menu is also a great idea!

Your enthusiasm really shines through here - you will do GREAT!

Thank you all for your responses and congradulations I will post pictures of the night and give you my feed back.

Thank you CrissyB for your wise words.

The age group is maily 20-30 so I am thinking fun and flair.

I think I will grab and make a few things from my main bath and body line. Then mix up some mineral makeup. Take a few examples of my bags and painted clocks maybe one each. And then a few things from my sensual/lovers line of bath products.

This just gave me the jump start I needed :shock: . I was realy just puttering around with being ready for late June and early August.

Thank you all again I will keep you updated. :D

x

may i offer this suggestion: you have a large selection of products-perhaps break it down into several catagories, like face makeover/makeup party, skin nuturing and tub things, and perhaps another catagory.

that way you can go back to the people that sponsor these parties for repeat business, yet always keeping it "fresh and new".

that way they could possibly throw 3 parties for you, but they will each be different from the last. word of mouth at these sort of functions can be a real money maker.

i would also suggest building a brochure of all products, even if they aren't featured at that particular party. that way if someone asks about something you are not promoting that night, you can probably talk them into having a party, too.

good luck with your parties! :D

Latest posts

Back