I made my first batch of soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Dove

Reaction score
I made my first batch and it seems to have gone well.

80% tallow (20 oz)
20% Coconut (5 oz)
2 TBS corn meal
Peppermint Oil for Scent

I soaped at 110% and mixed everything in a 2 gallon bucket. I used a power drill and a paint mixing attachment. It did splatter quite a bit but it eventually traced. I mixed in the Peppermint oil and corn meal with a spoon after trace.

I used a PVC pipe lined with parchment paper for my mold. The paper did curl up and create a minor imperfection but it's fine. It came out of the mold very easily and cut easily.

The soap was set up and hard within 2 or 3 hours. This was much quicker than I expected. I fully expected to wait 24 hours. I cut it into 8 bars and put it on a drying rack. It's already fairly hard.

I think everything went well. How long should I let this "cure" before trying it out?

Love the name.. And would love to see pics. :)

I'm still fairly new with less than 2 dozen made so wont say for sure how long.. My guess would be 4-6 weeks based on ingredients.

Same here. 4-6 weeks is best. Lets the soaps aquire some good conditioning and lathering properties. I also love the fact that you started out simply with a 2-ingredient soap. Best way to learn about your oils is experiencing just a few at a time or focusing on a particular oil.

I just ordered my first batch of tallow. I have made lots of lard soaps and hear tallow is just as nice and produces a lovely white bar. Yours will probably be very creamy and luxurious.

Latest posts

Back