I created a recipe....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LolaFalana

Reaction score
So I've been playing around with oil ratios. Using recipes I found online was cool until I realized that me and olive oil don't get along. Living in Palm Beach, FL I've just been producing soap that's barely about a sticky mess because of all the moisture in the air. So.... this is what I came up with. I made 1 single bar and now that it's cured, I really think it's a winner. Please give me your thoughts and how I can tweak... :p

Oil(s) Selected Amount $
Avocado Oil 1.20oz 30.0%
Castor Oil 0.20oz 05.0%
Cocoa Butter 0.20oz 05.0%
Coconut Oil (76 Degrees) 1.60oz 40.0%
Jojoba Oil 0.40oz 10.0%
Olive Oil 0.40oz 10.0%
5% Lye (Sodium Hydroxide) Amount 0.551oz
Ounces of liquid recommended 1.32oz

Yields 5.87oz

40% Coconut oil
30 Avocado oil
10% Olive Oil
10% Jojoba oil
5% Cocoa Butter
5% Castor Oil

Looks like a bar that will lather well. Some people think that 40% coconut oil would be too drying to the skin. If it works for you, then go with it. What percent superfat did you use; I could probably enter the recipe in SoapCalc and get it, but thought I would ask instead.

I did 5%. I thought anything higher would make it too soft. Coconut oil is a staple more so than olive in my culture. A lot of people I had try the soapa before commented on her it melts away. I love the lather on this soap. I keep the bar in the kitchen use it EVERYTIME I walk in there. Love it.

But you guys are my experts. Which is why I come to you.

if i can suggest a bit, perhaps bump up the superfat to 7-8%. with a hardness value of 53, i don't think bumping up the SF a bit will matter much. perhaps do a small batch with the higher SF so you can compare. goodluck :)

Since I'm in the soaping mindframe again (THANK GOODNESS) I will try 1 lb at 5% and the other at 7%. I will post pics and I'm going to try coloring CP this time. Fingers crossed.

Question: Could I use avocado puree instead of avocado oil? Or in addition to? I have a tree in the backyard that's begging for it. I'm researching this now but I'm at a loss.

why not use both? sub some of the water with the avocado puree

..... :confused: did not know you can do that. Honestly the thought came this morning when I was leaving the house. Omg I'm excited. I will be picking avocados after work today.

actually, i just made avocado soap not a while ago, using real avocado (as a puree) and avocado butter (it's basically a mixture of avocado oil and hydrogenated soybean oil). goodluck on your avocado soap!

How did it come out? I'm sure fabulous. If you use the puree and butter, do you still have to color it? I have this beautiful green in my head.

this is the end product if you want to see it :)

i was paranoid the soap will turn brown on me in a few months, so just to be safe i added just a touch of french green clay + green oxide. and i mean it, just a tiny bit, coz the avocado itself already gives a really nice green to begin with.

They are beautiful. The brown in it is from the tea? And that stamp! Sorry I'm gushing over your soap right now :) I wonder how mine will turn out without the oxide or clay. Since I'm still learning everything getting the color just right isn't exactly a priority for me right now. You've inspired me seven! Lol

Latest posts

Back