HP soap turned Pink-twice, what happened?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunfloweracres

Reaction score
Since I tried using Palm oil in hp crock pot soap 2 batches have turned Pink/Grey. Does anyone know why this happened? I liked the first batch, but it is getting annoying. :roll: The shampoo bars I make in the crock pot never turn Pink, but they do not contain Palm oil. Is that the problem?

Are you using any fragrance oil? What type of water are you using? Tap, distilled, filtered? I've never had Palm oil turn anything other than off white.

No fragrance oil. This happened right before trace. I am using clean rain water. Plus, I ran out of coconut oil, so did a cheap batch with Crisco, Palm, and Castor. That's what I get! I will try a small batch with distilled water. Off white would have been nice. I was trying to make a Christmas soap with a Madder root layer, a white, and a Green layer. Thank you so much for your help! :!:
I may have to save the 3 layer idea for cp soap after I buy more Coconut oil. This set up pretty fast.

sunfloweracres said:
No fragrance oil. This happened right before trace. I am using clean rain water. Plus, I ran out of coconut oil, so did a cheap batch with Crisco, Palm, and Castor. That's what I get! I will try a small batch with distilled water. Off white would have been nice. I was trying to make a Christmas soap with a Madder root layer, a white, and a Green layer. Thank you so much for your help! :!:
I may have to save the 3 layer idea for cp soap after I buy more Coconut oil. This set up pretty fast.

Crisco has a habit of turning pink on me too, drop it and use lard, lard gives you a nice white soap,also dissolve a tablespoon of sugar in your lye water and up the water amount I go anywhere from 3 to 5% more water, these will give you a creamier less goopy HP soap

Awesome, thank you so much! I was going through soap withdrawls until I can get to the store for Coconut oil. I'll try it with lard today. :D

Crisco was the problem, here it is with lard, Palm, and Castor oil. I ground up some Rosemary and added some Blue Green Algae in the top layer, and added Bergamot which I assume is the light Orange marbeling in the bottom layer, Not what I planned but I like it. At least I got rid of Pink soap! :D

ROSEMARY.2.LAYER.HP.BATCH27.3.BARS.321.301.JPG

DragonQueenHHP said:
sunfloweracres said:

Crisco has a habit of turning pink on me too, drop it and use lard, lard gives you a nice white soap,also dissolve a tablespoon of sugar in your lye water and up the water amount I go anywhere from 3 to 5% more water, these will give you a creamier less goopy HP soap

Everything worked great. No more Pink soap, the extra water and sugar really helped make it smoother and easy to work with. It took longer to trace, but is worth it. Thank you!

sunfloweracres said:
...and added Bergamot which I assume is the light Orange marbeling in the bottom layer
Do you mean you added Bergamot EO? I don't think that would cause orange marbling...the EO is usually green.

Alchemy&Ashes said:
sunfloweracres said:
...and added Bergamot which I assume is the light Orange marbeling in the bottom layer
Do you mean you added Bergamot EO? I don't think that would cause orange marbling...the EO is usually green.

Yes I used Bergamot EO citrus bergamia, origin: Italy from New Directions Aromatics. It is a light Yellow in the bottle. :?:

I have made quite a few pure white CP soap batches, but with no Palm oil just Crisco, sometimes Castor, water, and lye. Maybe Palm reacts with Crisco :?: I'll just skip Palm oil.

VEGAN.WHITE.PAPRIKA.SOAP.16.SAME.AS.1.300.258.JPG

DragonQueenHHP said:
looks great I am surprised the Bergamot turned it colors I have a Bergamot and Mint soap it is white

That's pretty! Definately White. I'll bet it smells great. What did you use for color in the Green layer? I love it!
It seems to me that Bergamot eo can vary depending on where you buy it. :?
What color is your Bergamot EO?

I do use Palm and its never turned pink or orange without a colorant. I also use Bergamot EO (which is light green) and have not had it discolor. Maybe it's some impurity in the water or lye (technical grade or food grade?).
It's a mystery! :shock:
:lol:

Latest posts

Back