HP Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindy

Soap Diva Queen
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone - I tried HP for the first time this afternoon and I'm wondering how long you "cook" this? What I did was hold back about 2 lbs of a 10 lb batch of CP so I could try this and add some dried Lavender, Dried Rose Buds and Marshmallow root. I added Vitamin E Oil as it was "cooking" which I did on stove top and I kept it going until it was thick enough it was pulling away from the sides of the soap pot. At this point I poured it and it's looking good but really, really hot.

So again I'm wondering if I did this right or if this is still going to behave as a really thick CP?

Thanks in advance.

I do mine in the oven, and mine isn't that thick when I pour. I cook it at 170 for about an hour or so, maybe a little longer.

I've never done stovetop, so the pulling away at the sides is unfamiliar to me. But it's probably ok.

I use HP for all my soaps. I usually make batches of about 2.5kg (5.5lb) and get my soap to a light to medium trace and put it in the oven uncovered (I may cover if I am worried about too much water loss) at 100C (212F) and bake for 1hour with a stir at 30min to mix in the uncooked stuff in the middle. It is good to check half way because this is generally the time it may grow out of the pot, but it doesn't always. After an hour it should be thick and clear, as it is melted soap now and the chemical reaction is essentially complete. If it is still white-ish and not clear and glossy it is probably not done and needs more time. It will harden on a cool spoon if it is done. After it is cooked I usually toss in my oils/scents/chunks and other extras to hopefully prevent them from steaming off as much as possible and because I usually give it a good stir here anyway to make it more smooth to go into the moulds. I then mould it straight away and glop it in with a spoon, especially into the corners where it can be difficult. I then wait a minute or two and the top forms a very thin film of dry soap and I pat the top smooth and even everything out. It will be hot, but I think touchable enough to pat flat (the dry top of the soap should protect your hands from getting hot/wet soap on them). Once cool (4-8 hours) it is ready to use, but may need drying for a few days or more depending on the amount of water you used (38% water needs a week or two, where 27% needs a few days). It can just be a bit more goopy if you use it just after making it as water penetrates easier if there is still a lot of water in the bar. I think the HP behaves differently to thick CP because it is like melted re-batched soap and will dry and not stick together if it is not moulded fast enough, but then it just has to be reheated to get it liquid again. I like the HP, it sets much quicker than CP and I like to know that sponification is essentially done and the bar is useable. Cheers! :)

Back