How to tell if oil is going bad??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soaplady22

Reaction score
I know the rancid smell, or the coagulating, but what about bubbles on top? Does that mean anything? I have one gallon of olive with the tiny bubbles and don't know what that means. If anything. That one smells okay.

I have several partial containers of oil here in the basement. The Macadamian Nut oil is coagulated - and smells like old oil. I think that one's a gonner. ??

Thanks for any input. This is my first time to be around bad oils. I had a 2 year "vacation" from soaping while I went through cancer treatments and recovery. Now that I'm fine again ( knock on wood) I am going through my stash with my husband, looking for what all's good and what's gotta go. Found, for example, that I have 2 1/2 gallons of grapeseed oil. I use it, but not enough to justify my having gotten extra gallons!!

Thanks again.
:)

Refined oil may not smell rancid even if it is. What kind of olive oil is that ?

But it is possible to use older oils for soap... It's not that bad.

And nice to hear you're in good health :)

Oh, TY Starum. Yes, I'm doing well now. Finally getting my energy back - which translates into WHOOPIE!! I'm soaping again!!! :D

I have used rather old oil before and have not had problems. I guess everybody, and every batch, is different. We all have our ups and downs!

Hope my avocado is okay. And the olive is from Gordon Foods. Time will tell ....

Latest posts

Back