How to salvage soap with too much fragrance oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BerryBrew

Reaction score
I'm so happy I found you all! I'm a newbie and last night I added way too much fragrance oil to my small batch. I misread teaspoon for tablespoon:thumbdown: So now I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to salvage this batch because I really hate to see it go to waste.

what size batch did you make? All measurements should be done by weight, using grams for small batches. The general rule of thumb for fo's, a few spice fo's differ, is to use 1 oz fo per pound of oil. You used approx .5 oz

I made a 2 pound batch. I used Bramble Berry's fragrance calculator which called for 9 grams/2 teaspoons for a light scent but accidentally used 2 tablespoons. So I used roughly 28 grams of FO which is about 10 grams over their recommendation for a strong scent.

If the scent is too strong for you after it cures for a couple of days, I would chop it up into cubes or whatever and add it in the appropriate ratio as embeds to unscented soap, so if its twice as strong as it should be, mix it 1:1 with unscented soap. If you do it in contrasting colors it could come out really cute.

Haha I wish! If I walk by it I swear I'll get a headache because it's so strong.

It will smell very strong at first but should calm down. What was the scent?

Well, they don't have the IFRA on their website, but I checked 3 other suppliers and they are all safe at much higher rates. I suspect yours will be fine in a few weeks. Even if it still smells strong, I don't think you need to rebatch it.

Well, they don't have the IFRA on their website, but I checked 3 other suppliers and they are all safe at much higher rates. I suspect yours will be fine in a few weeks. Even if it still smells strong, I don't think you need to rebatch it.

Ah, thank you that's good to know!

Latest posts

Back