How to make tranparent soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apurwa

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to make a transparent soap? I really want to try making these at home.

thanks,
Apurwa.

I haven't done any either but I read that you need ethanol or 190 proof alcohol for the process. EVERCLEAR is a 190 proof alcohol but it's illegal in my state, (and all my surrounding states except Vermont). I have a client from Maine who often goes to Vermont, and she said she'd pick me up a bottle.

I also read that (because of the alcohol), it's pretty flamable, so I though I'd try making some this summer (when I can do it OUTSIDE).

Page 73 of the Soapmakers Companion says this.....

"...the transparent formula incorporated alcohol, a drying ingredient, and they were produced at very high soapmaking temperatures, probably destroying some of the nutritive value of the vegetable oils. They were dangerous to produce, and because the formulas contained less soap and more liquid than opaque soap, they dissolved more quickly and affected the skin less beneficially."

But then she goes on to discuss how she still wanted to make them and found ways to work around all of the above problems. She talks a bit in depth about ethanol, the alcohol used in the process, and the dangers of its low flashpoint. She cautions against trying to make production size batches without extensive research due to the dangers of such a high amount of alcohol being heated in an enclosed vessel. She says the commercial makers have gotten away from these dangers by substituting chemicals for the alcohol in the process.

She has 10 pages of instructions, safety precautions and the like before she finally gives the recipe for it.

My husband has asked me to make it for him as he likes to use Neutrogena on his face. I looked at the label of his Neutrogena and there was no alcohol listed there, but after the glycerin and oils are a bunch of chemicals that I am guessing are what they use to process the soap instead of the dangerous ethanol. So.... I offered him some choices. Use my CP opaque soaps, or continue to use his Neutrogena or buy whatever other product he so desires. But possibly blowing up the house was not one of the choices.

But that's just me......

oldragbagger said:
But possibly blowing up the house was not one of the choices.
Thanks ragbagger, I knew I read that someplace. That's why I opted for summer (the danger was apparent, but curiousity still dominates)

ohh so it looks little risky...i dont think i will want to try it indoors and that pretty much leaves no scope for me to try it ever. my house has no garden or garage so guess i will have to totally drop the idea till i come across some safe trick!
thanks all for all the help !

Apurwa.

I've only read enough about it to make the decision that it's not for me. If I want clear soap there are lots of nice M&P soaps available online with a variety of ingredients. Much cheaper and less labor intensive than I could do it myself.

Then again clear soaps don't hold a lot of interest for me anyway.

I did a blog on this recently.
It was actually more about making BDG melt and pour, but I did a comparison to regular re-batch soap.

The last bit talks about adding transparency, however you really want a soap that is high in "hard" oils such as coconut oil if you are starting from scratch.

"Making Transparent Soaps" by Catherine Failor is an excellent book about this with lots of recipes.

You can use sorbitol instead of ethanol which is much safer.

http://bdgsoaper.blogspot.com/2010/01/m ... erial.html

Back