how to make conditioner

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just fwiw...if you 'sterilise" something and then wave it around in the air, you should probably resterilise it.

thanks for the link, Miha :) i was just wondering about conditioner earlier today as i was washing my hair. sounds like it's not too complicated.. worth a try...

Just fwiw...if you 'sterilise" something and then wave it around in the air, you should probably resterilise it.

Being a nurse, I can assure you that the table and her hands are more contaminated than the bottles and caps are that are being waved through the air. It is the inside of the bottle and cap that matter, not the outside. And the same germs exist in the air at table level than up by her head. Probably more at table level.

I agree with Susie -- and we're really talking about "sanitary" conditions, not "sterile".

Anne Watson, in her book Smart Lotionmaking, described the tests she did on bottles that had been sanitized with high-proof alcohol, left to dry uncovered in the open air, and then tested afterwards for microbial contamination. They were fine.

I don't want to be nerdy, but please use the usual lotion making procedure:
- heat and water phase (water, glycerin)
- heat and hold the oils and BTMS
add the water to the heated oils and mix thoroughly with normal mixer or SB.
In the cool down phase (40°-45°C) add the panthenol (heat sensitive); EO's and preservative.

For some real good conditioner recipes I recommend Susan's blog (Swiftcraftmonkey)

Latest posts

Back