How to do this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmlove1218

Reaction score
A while back I made a recipe but didn't realize until after had already measured out half of my oils that id made a mistake and calculated it for twice as much cocoa butter (and half the coconut oil) that I had intended. I decided to follow through with the recipe and see what would happen.

After a few weeks, it is still a very soft soap and I'm wanting to correct it to the measurements it was supposed to have in the beginning. To do that, I think I need to make the recipe again without the cocoa butter and a one and a half times the coconut oil.

However, how do I combine the old batch and the new? I figure I need to HP it butter would the two soaps combine?

Any suggestions?

Hmm... It sounds like it might be a little tricky to get the two soaps combined. I would make a separate recipe with half the cocoa and 1.5 times the coconut like you said, HP it in one crock pot, then grate & rebatch the other soap in another crock pot. If you don't have two crock pots, you could do it on the stove top. Then, add the rebatched soap to the crock pot with the HP soap, and stir the two together.

Thank you for answering! I just finished doing that. We'll see how it turns out once its unmolded!

have to admit that I have a bad headache today, but I seem to be missing something here. If you discovered this when after measuring out your oils why did you not just re-run the actual oil weights back through soap calc? You could also run the recipe you actually made in soap calc, rebatch and add in the extra lye to take care of the extra oil

I wasn't actually missing an oil or accidentally added too much oil. I had accidentally switched the numbers on soapcalc. So instead of entering the correct recipe (10% Cocoa, 20% Coconut), I entered them backwards (20% Cocoa, 10% Coconut). I believe at the time I originally made it, I was running low on another oil in the recipe, so I just decided to let it be and see what happened. I've since purchased more oils and figured since the bars weren't hardening like they should be, I should go ahead and correct the calculations. I just wasn't sure how to mix a new batch of soap with an old batch.

Back