How on EARTH do they marble candles!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Hutchinson

Reaction score
Hi,

I have seen a lot of these candles and want to know what is the best way to do it? Does it have a name?
D1330766-B76B-4DA7-A626-B0639532525A.jpeg
0C55D030-7306-4DC2-BD47-A7CD6B58A163.jpeg

I would 100% not try it with nail polish. I wonder however, wouldn't you be able to float hot wax on top of hot water and quickly dip to get a similar effect? Wax floats after all.

Brilliant thank you. Will the nail polish give off fumes when burnt?
I would 100% not try it with nail polish. I wonder however, wouldn't you be able to float hot wax on top of hot water and quickly dip to get a similar effect? Wax floats after all.
No, and no.

Nail polish is flammable, not a good idea, because it could catch the whole outside of the candle on fire and be a huge fire hazard.

Wax will almost immediately harden when introduced to water, so no matter how fast you think you are, you will still not have time to dip a candle in wax floating on water.

The problem I've ran into with doing this technique is when it's handled, the dip rubs off and becomes chipped, scraped and ugly. That's why I've stopped doing this type of marbling for anything other than personal candles I'll be burning myself.

I have been thinking about this in order to come up with a safer alternative to marbling. Why couldn't you swirl a little colored wax on the inside/sides of the candle mold and let it harden and then fill with uncolored wax? Maybe setting the mold in the freezer after swirling the sides with colored wax would keep the sides cool enough to pour in the uncolored wax without it all merging together. It certainly seems a better alternative than using nail polish.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about this in order to come up with a safer alternative to marbling. Why couldn't you swirl a little colored wax on the inside/sides of the candle mold and let it harden and then fill with uncolored wax? It certainly seems a better alternative than using nail polish.
You can do that, and there is a technique for marbling candles that is similar to that, however, you will not get the same pattern every-time. I have a tutorial for marbling candles using just wax, scent and color in the mold on another forum.

If I can try to get it, without linking to that forum, I will post it here.

Latest posts

Back