how much vinegar to neutralize?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosey

Reaction score
How much vinegar does it take to neutralize lye? I think i'm putting way too much in my bucket. I'd rather put too much but not going overboard either (which I'm probably doing).

no where i put my dishes before going to clean. Like the cup i use to measure out the lye, the spoon that i mix it with, and the bowl that i had the water/lye mix in. I toss it all into a water/vinegar bucket and then I go to the tub and wash it out. I like it out of the way right away just in case a dog/cat should happen to door dash when I open the door.

I just rinse my lye containers and spoons and such with water immediatly and then wash with soap and water and then run through dishwasher.

oooh! gotcha.

well for your lye spoon and container, just diluting and washing down the drain is plenty (i.e., rinse it out) - drain clearer is just lye anyway!

for my soap bucket (with the oily mess), I actually prefer to let it set overnight and saponify, and then just wash out with a little extra dish liquid, myself.

(and sorry, don't know how much)

I do a couple of glug glugs. I used the pH sticks in the beginning, but I got lazy. I always neutralize everything when I am done because I have a septic and don't want raw soap going down there.

lol i love the couple of glugs glugs. I want to get a sink in the garage because that would make my life easier. If i leave things sit in the sinks, I know the cats or the dogs will get to it. I'll just keep on with my little glug glugs then too.

I usually rinse it out in the bathtub and then run them through the dishwasher.

I figured someone may know but I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to the furries.

My daughter is old enough to know not to touch it. She's always been very good with chemicals.

SimplyE said:
I do a couple of glug glugs. I used the pH sticks in the beginning, but I got lazy. I always neutralize everything when I am done because I have a septic and don't want raw soap going down there.

I wouldn't put raw soap down ANY pipe even tho I don't have a septic system - it's a clog waiting to happen! plus oils are really hard on water treatment plants. I scrape out any residue from my soap with a spatula and into the trash then wipe with crumpled newspaper. Pretty clean at that point - then I just wash it.

I'm curious if the very diluted lye water would impact a septic system, tho. I'm talking the residual amount from a spoon and pitcher. I don't think it's significant enough to impact anything but am not sure.

carebear said:
SimplyE said:

I wouldn't put raw soap down ANY pipe even tho I don't have a septic system - it's a clog waiting to happen! plus oils are really hard on water treatment plants. I scrape out any residue from my soap with a spatula and into the trash then wipe with crumpled newspaper. Pretty clean at that point - then I just wash it.

I'm curious if the very diluted lye water would impact a septic system, tho. I'm talking the residual amount from a spoon and pitcher. I don't think it's significant enough to impact anything but am not sure.

Thanks for that clarification CB. I actually do scrape the raw soap and throw it out, but then I put the that and the excess lye water, etc in my vinegar rinse. I am just really paranoid about what I put down the septic, meaning I just dump some vinegar when I clean up just to make sure there is nothin left in the "goods".

I scrape until the pots and bowls are almost clean and wipe with a rag . Wash with hot water a small dash maybe 1/2 oz of ammonia , it kills the grease big time. I can't bear to leave the dishes undone , cannot do it .

Kitn

Latest posts

Back