How much to use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerye

Reaction score
My goal is to do a batch of CP soon using some sort of scent.
I had read somewhere that EO's don't hold their scents and to use FO's either alone or with EO's.
I want to order some FO's right now, once I decide between the MANY delicious scents!! :D
I notice that they are mostly sold in 2 oz. sizes.
If I was making a 2 lb. batch of soap, how much FO would I want to use?
Thanks!

Depends on the strength of the fragrance but the general rule is 1oz pp.

It really depends on the fragrance. I get a strong, lasting scent throw in my CP with using just .75 oz ppo for most fragrances, but on some of the really strong ones I find I can go as low as .4 oz ppo. For the really light ones I go as high as 1 oz ppo (a very rare occurance for me). I've never had to go higher than 1 oz ppo to date.

IrishLass :)

i always use 1 ounce per lb, other than eo's i use 1/2 per lb. where did you buy your fos from? isnt it fun?

Does everyone have success with FO?

The last 10 times I've made soap and used NO scents it was successful.

My last 2 fail batch I used chocolate mint and recently scent of grapefruit.

It just stayed at the gel stage for the next 48 hours. :(

I may just try to rebatch them or turn them into liquid laundry soap.

what didnt turn out? ive had batches get thick really fast after adding fo, but they still turned out.

honor435 said:
what didnt turn out? ive had batches get thick really fast after adding fo, but they still turned out.

The one I scented with grapefruit FO is still in gel stage right now. I'm going to wait 1 week and see if it turn out ok.

I'm looking over my notes and think maybe I've used too much water. Or was it the Castor oil? I used about 24% of that combine with 3 other oils.

But I'm not giving up yet. :)

Update: 8/6/09: It's starting to look normal now. About 50% to turning opaque like normal soap.

Back