How much is too much for Shea Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egirlxx7

Reaction score
I was considering to make a soap which has a high level of Shea butter, i wanted to know if this is considered too much Shea

40% Shea Butter
40% Olive Oil
10% Castor oil

On the scale of things, would you says that's too much Shea?

Depends on what you're trying to achieve. I've made a batch which had 30% shea in it. It was nice but I wouldn't make it again because I'd rather use shea for whipped butter or lotions, JMO.

BTW, your recipe doesn't equal 100%. Is this a typo or did you forget an oil?

yeah that should be 20% castor oil.
Thanks

I have a friend who loves Shea butter, and asked for a Shea butter soap, and wanted it to be made of all Shea which is something I haven't done.

I don't know what to answer - it might turn out wonderful. Then again, it may not. However, it looks like it will be very conditioning with creamy lather. Do you have to make it really soon? Someone might have experience with something similar and be able to give you advice if you're willing to wait a day or so.

I personally would add a little coconut and drop the castor a bit but this is just my opinion.

No there is no rush, and at the moment I'm outta lye, (I know, I know, it's shameful) I look myself in the mirror and ask myself "how could I let that happen..."

Yes, I'm curious to know if anyone else has ever made with such high amounts before,

thanks

I make Shea butter soap all the time. I have never used that much shea in my recipes. I usually run it at about 18% and it's plenty moisturizing on the skin.

My bars consist of

CO 31%
OO 31%
PO 18%
Shea 18%
These make nice hard bars. Sometimes I will throw in some castor instead and drop the shea in number too.

Thanks everyone for the info, I will adjust my recipe.

and ....HAZEL..... (ahem).... , its all good.....

My shipment of lye arrived today,

I'm back

:mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back