How much FO do you buy?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kleine Teufel

Reaction score
I'm looking at increasing the amount of oils I buy, but purely out of curiousity, I'm wondering how much of each oil each person purchases? Do you buy 1oz samplers, 4oz, 8, 16 or 5lb? Thanks guys!

I buy 8 oz and 16 oz bottles, mainly due to limited finances. Then I force myself to use up fragrances before I buy more.

I like to buy 1 oz sampler bottles if I'm trying out a new FO, and if I like the sample, then I'll buy 8 oz of it at a time. If the FO is one that I find myself using a lot of, I'll buy a pound of it at a time.

IrishLass :)

So far I have only been buying 1 oz samples (Peak's awesome sale), or up to 4 oz of something that is on clearance (but there have only been a couple of those). Trying to find what I like best before I spend too much $ on something that just sits on a shelf... And right now I still have 20 or more that I haven't soaped yet, so no more for me for a while.

I buy the samplers if I want to test an fo, but as far as buying for my regular line of soaps, I buy a pound of it.

I transfer all of my fo's into amber colored glass bottles and they are stored in a cool dark area. They can last for years this way if need be.

For stuff that I haven't smelled or worked with before, which was most scents, I try out new scents when the 1oz samplers go on sale like the last Candle Science sale.

I received a sniffie on my first Bitter Creek order that I just absolutely freaking LOVE so I ordered an 8oz bottle of it and another one that I loved in the smaller size I ordered the first time.

The others that I like but not love, I stick to 2 or 4oz because I'm not making tons of soap just yet. Most of the Candle Science samplers will be made into tart melts for my friends because I'm just not a huge fan of a lot of them. You won't know until you smell them, right :D

Genny, what do the 16oz FO's come in? I always just assumed that they came in the amber bottles. :/

bettacreek said:
Genny, what do the 16oz FO's come in? I always just assumed that they came in the amber bottles. :/

Some places like NG & BC use plastic bottles for all sizes of their fo's. It would be nice if they came in glass though.

most of my fo's are in 2 oz bottles - and I have over 100. if they're customer favorites (I make other bath and body products that I sell), then i'll buy 4-8 oz.

Just as a note the save on scents ultra comes in dark glass bottles. the SOS comes in plastic but the ultra is 50% stronger so I only use. 5 per pound. And the Italian coffee is super sweet smelling.

Just as a note the save on scents ultra comes in dark glass bottles. the SOS comes in plastic but the ultra is 50% stronger so I only use. 5 per pound. And the Italian coffee is super sweet smelling.

Latest posts

Back