How many knitters?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Booties to match sweater, also fresh-squeezed:

Yep, your right....that did it for me. Those are super cute! Maybe soon my son and daughter will be ready for kids of their own ;) and I can have a good reason to knit baby stuff. Bet it knitted really quick too. I know what you mean about patience.... I have very little of it. My mom can crochet huge bed afghans in just a couple weeks. But I can see she's developing arthritis. That outfit is so cute, that's one well dressed baby!

Those teddy bears are the cutest - love them! :)

Yeah, very cool. I do that too: very smooth toes.

My first one ever ;)
Foto-VE7P7S3J-G.jpg

Have you heard of Liat?
she's amazing. Top tutorials too.
Makes knitting life a pleasure.

A.t.m. I'm knitting a bag and felt it when finished.
Usually I just felt, but this is cool too.

No I haven't heard of Liat, I'll look that up. I'm all for tutorials. You did a great job on that sock :)

Lindy, you've got a gift then. I bought the best Adi-click needles thinking I was going to just go to town whip'n up socks and It would be do easy and QUICK..... Psh..... I'm still using my little tiny 4 inch, 5 wooden DPN's. I get all tangled and twisted with the circular needles and when I screw up its so hard to back out and keep up with what I undid on which sock. Crazy. Call me old fashioned, but I just don't do well on circulars. Glad they work for others cuz they sure are awesome and well made. Maybe one day it will click with me.

Have you ever tried knitting both socks on the same DPN at the same time? Double knitting. I did mittens that way. Twice as many stitches, and you end up with one inside the other, both finished (as long as you don't mix up the yarns) and perfectly matched. Might not be better than circulars (I don't like using circulars for socks either, even with the benefit of having both finished at the same time. I do use them for other projects.)

Great job!

Those must knit up super fast! :smile:
To tell you the truth, they did :D

Thx !
Until last year I knitted the conventional way, where your right hand does al the work and makes a lot of unnecessary movements.
(Still don't know if it is named continental knitting or not...)

When I discovered Liat and her tutorials, I forced myself to knit with circular needles and holding the yarn in my left hand; more like crocheting.
So now I don't care so much anymore to use thin needles. :)

For me knitting was a process to create a certain look of fabric, now I enjoy it.

Latest project: knitted and felted bag (still need a button)

Foto-J46RFVRZ-G.jpg

Last edited:
yarn in right hand is English, yarn in left is continental. I prefer continental by far. (And thin needles!) :)

yarn in right hand is English, yarn in left is continental. I prefer continental by far. (And thin needles!) :)

Thank you!

The cool thing is - when you're able to do both - that fair-isles knitting becomes crazy easy!

While The Netherlands share a border with Germany, and there is the Norh Sea between the UK and us, continental knitting is not yet very popular here. ;)

Thank you!

The cool thing is - when you're able to do both - that fair-isles knitting becomes crazy easy!

While The Netherlands share a border with Germany, and there is the Norh Sea between the UK and us, continental knitting is not yet very popular here. ;)

yes....and learning to knit backwards means turning for purl rows of stockinette is a thing of the past. :)

Knitting history is fascinating stuff. It is far older than many people realise. Nalbinding is the precursor. The regional variations are immense too. If you go on youtube and look up knitting videos, you find that portugese style, for instance, is very different. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzfYS9_t27k[/ame]

Very cool! Thx for sharing. :)
Now finding the pin to lead the yarn....

regional variations are immense too
Ha! I've seen people knitting and it looked like they were trying to break their needles, others looked like they were in a comic book, like Asterix & Obelix.
grandma-knit.jpg

you can just use a safety pin, or put it around your neck.
More the regional variations I was meaning were things like traditional patterns, or Cowichan knitting or things like that Portugese style, or using a knitting belt (a la the Shetlands, etc), or the Russian knit (thru the back loop), and so on.

Back