How long until gel is done?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve had a column pvc mold in a bucket with a heated blanket wrapped around it for 3 hours. Is that long enough to ensure gel phase? Can I take it out?
4 hours after making the first soap I made a second one. I’d like to put it in the bucket now, and pull the first soap out. Will that be ok?

Ok, went with putting the first soap back in the heat with the second soap. I think it’s less likely that it will over heat than it is that it will under heat. But, I still can’t find info on the minimum time on heat for gel to occur.

Ok, went with putting the first soap back in the heat with the second soap. I think it’s less likely that it will over heat than it is that it will under heat. But, I still can’t find info on the minimum time on heat for gel to occur.
Probably because it is so variable depending on soap formula, mold, ambient environmental conditions (air temperature, humidity, etc.) Your own experience with your own formula and your particular mold, etc. is more likely to give you predictable perameters, but you might have to do a bit of observation & testing to come up with what works in your situation to identify your 'minimum' time & heat.

Sorry I couldn't point you to a more definitive answer, but perhaps if you search the forum for specifics about your set up, maybe one of the threads you find might give you a clue or you could contact a still-active member who has a set up similar to yours to ask if they identified a minimum time & temperature for gel.

ETA: In 2015, Amy Warden did a blogpost on using PVC mold for soapmaking. It won't answer your question, but the Q&A portion has some information about non-gelling based on thickness of PVC and ambient temperature and soap formula impact on heating and gel.

Last edited:
Probably because it is so variable depending on soap formula, mold, ambient environmental conditions (air temperature, humidity, etc.) Your own experience with your own formula and your particular mold, etc. is more likely to give you predictable perameters, but you might have to do a bit of observation & testing to come up with what works in your situation to identify your 'minimum' time & heat.

Sorry I couldn't point you to a more definitive answer, but perhaps if you search the forum for specifics about your set up, maybe one of the threads you find might give you a clue or you could contact a still-active member who has a set up similar to yours to ask if they identified a minimum time & temperature for gel.

ETA: In 2015, Amy Warden did a blogpost on using PVC mold for soapmaking. It won't answer your question, but the Q&A portion has some information about non-gelling based on thickness of PVC and ambient temperature and soap formula impact on heating and gel.
Thank you. That’s very helpful and totally makes sense! I was having a desperate panic moment. But it’s probably going to be fine. Still, thank you for the link. I love learning new soap stuff!!!

Latest posts

Back