How long do you cure?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapMakerDeluxe

Reaction score
It's been two weeks since my first batch, so it's obvious that the hardest part about soap making is the waiting. I'm assuming they'll be good to go in another two weeks to make four total.

My question: how long do you cure your bars? How do you know when they're ready to use?

You can use them at anytime as long as there's no zap. However, they get better with time. I like to cure them 4-6 weeks. They are milder and will last longer. You should give yours a try now, then again at 3 weeks and 4 weeks and see what you think.

I make almost exclusively HP soaps, and I cure mine 6-8 weeks. Some people cure for a shorter time, a few for more. It depends some on your recipe, your liquid amount, and I think to some extent your climate.

Your soap is safe to use now, you may want to try a little piece now and make notes. Remember, it won't feel nearly as good now as it will later. Make notes, and try it again in 2 weeks, then again 2 weeks after that. I notice enough difference between 6 weeks and 8 weeks that it makes it worth the extra wait for me.

The most accurate way to track your soap curing is to weigh it. The younger your soap, the faster it will lose water. Once it has pretty much stopped losing water weight, it's ready. Grab a few bars and weigh them (in grams) once a week and keep track.

HTH

I cure for others and for my serious usage 6 weeks. Then they don't truly melt up a storm.

I use them, however, immediately and I test every day to every 3 days...I usually grapple at scraps or make an extra pour off round soap to use and see the bubbles, harsh or conditioning level, the scent etc. That way my main batch cures proper yet I get to experiment daily!! Muh ha ha ha ha ha!

Mine are zap tested at 2 days..at 1 week they meet my hands in the sink...at 2-3 weeks they get to visit the shower..then they get to rest in there and get retested every week....the ones that sit it out for sale sit for 6-8 weeks at least.

Small soaps and end bits of loafs maybd after 2 weeks. Otherwise, 4-5 weeks minimum. I like thrm best after few months.

The very minimum for me is 4 weeks. That's when I consider my soaps to be at their 'earliest best', but they do get noticeably better and better even beyond that.

Just remember to check often and take plenty of notes!

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back