How long do I stir the lye solution?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GiggleGoat

Reaction score
I have been making soap for a while, but have never really understood how long I should stir the lye solution after I mix the lye with my goat milk or water/goatmilk. If I let it sit do I get better results than if I just pour it in right after the lye dissolves? I keep the liquid temperature pretty low (120-ish) with an ice bath and frozen goat milk. I'd love to fully understand this part of soap making so I can relax more during this part of the process.

Well with water, I stir it untill it turns clear. In GM its a little harder to tell but its done dissolving when the mixture stops steaming and giving off fumes. I use a rubber spatula so I can drag it long the bottom and sides of the container to feel for graininess or drag when preparing a solution that I can't see into. When I think its all dissolved, I'll walk away from it and let it sit for a few minutes, then do the drag test again to see if anything wasn't really dissolved and settled at the bottom.

I add the lye right to the goat milk. At some point does it become unusable or is it always a caustic solution that can be added to oil? Can it sit for a while or does the lye have to be 'fresh'? Not sure if that makes sense or not. I guess I'm trying to find out the optimal time that the lye/liquid solution should be added to the oil. There, clear as mud.

I have let a 100% evaporated GM sit untill it reached heavy trace from sponifying the fat in the milk. No problems soaping with it. The lye solution will become weaker as it is exposed to air. If the solution is prepared ahead of time it needs to be in a sealed container just like the dry lye. I think in the case of GM it might need to be refrigerated... the refrigeration may make the solution precipitate but it could just be stirred again.

Latest posts

Back