How do you lye?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesoapmom

Reaction score
Do you wear a mask?
Gloves?
Eyewear?

WHERE do you mix-- outside or inside? How do you ensure adequate ventilation?

I have been mixing outside on my deck/ gloves & eye protection but not a mask. I hold my breath or put my nose/mouth inside of my coat, sleeve, whatever but I am still terrified of the fumes. That is probably the only thing I am scared of. I am less scared of the spilling.

I am scared of the fumes! But it is only during mixing they are given off yes?

Now that I have started using water replacements, the stink can be foul! I usually mix outside, arms reach, head turned to breathe in.

Extreme? Maybe. But as I want to crack on and the weather is turning, I have ordered a suitable mask (A2P2 rated) so that I can do it with no worries.

Well, not more than the standard worries when working with lye!

Eta - gloves and goggles go without saying!

I too use my arm length and turn my head. I also crack the window over the sink. I mix my lye in the sink to avoid any problems. I also wear gloves and long sleeves.

I mix either in the sink or on the stove under the vent. If I mix in the sink, I just lean back a bit so I don't have to worry about the fumes. I am also really, really bad about safety, I rarely use gloves or a glasses. I do put on glasses before I pour though, don't want to risk batter flying around when I bang my molds.

I wear goggles, an apron and goggles when I make my lye solution. I always do it at the stove (which I cover with old newspapers) and I run the vent fan until the fumes die down...but still I try to keep my head turned away just in case.

Outside, on a table that's already been ruined by lye (one of my very first batches). I use long rubber gloves, onion goggles, and a medical face mask. I have a little cup of water next to me that I put my mixing spoon into while I go back inside and fix up my oils.

Usually wear safety glasses and always gloves. Have been known in a pinch to not use safety glasses but usually have my regular eye glasses on anyway.
Usually stir my lye outside. You have to be careful because any bug flying over it will be die and fall in...maybe that's just my luck :/ If the weather is bad I might stir it in the garage or even in our half bathroom off the kitchen with the vent fan on. I generally mix it in a plastic container sitting in an ice bath. I like these containers because they have lids that I can screw on to carry it back into the kitchen.

I mix either in the sink or on the stove under the vent. If I mix in the sink, I just lean back a bit so I don't have to worry about the fumes. I am also really, really bad about safety, I rarely use gloves or a glasses. I do put on glasses before I pour though, don't want to risk batter flying around when I bang my molds.

You're not the lone ranger. I rarely wear gloves or glasses either. I know I'm a bad boy.:wink:

i mix mine inside the kitchen (where there is an exhaust), near the window. my batches are small, so the vapor isn't so bad. these days, i rarely wear gloves coz it's so hot in here and it makes my hands sweat like crazy. not to mention limited movements. i do wear a disposable mask though, don't want to inhale any lye bits or vapor.

Do you wear a mask?
Gloves?
Eyewear?

WHERE do you mix-- outside or inside? How do you ensure adequate ventilation?

I have been mixing outside on my deck/ gloves & eye protection but not a mask. I hold my breath or put my nose/mouth inside of my coat, sleeve, whatever but I am still terrified of the fumes. That is probably the only thing I am scared of. I am less scared of the spilling.

I am scared of the fumes! But it is only during mixing they are given off yes?

This is how I got into the HABIT of wearing protective wear:
I think of my two eyes, if I lose one, that leaves me one, worse I could lose both. I think of the fumes I could be inhaling for the next 30 years (I expect to be making soap till I die). Lastly, I vision pouring the water to the lye, not good.
The reason for this mental setup, is so that I get into the HABIT of wearing my face shield, face mask for the fumes and gloves. When we get so good at most things we believe we have it down to the gnat's eye. I can become so careless because I have a wondering mind. So I created the HABIT of gearing up, I cant make soap if Im blind. All it takes is a tiny drop.

This is how I got into the HABIT of wearing protective wear:
I think of my two eyes, if I lose one, that leaves me one, worse I could lose both. I think of the fumes I could be inhaling for the next 30 years (I expect to be making soap till I die). Lastly, I vision pouring the water to the lye, not good.
The reason for this mental setup, is so that I get into the HABIT of wearing my face shield, face mask for the fumes and gloves. When we get so good at most things we believe we have it down to the gnat's eye. I can become so careless because I have a wondering mind. So I created the HABIT of gearing up, I cant make soap if Im blind. All it takes is a tiny drop.

What kind of mask/shield do you wear? I wear glasses so it makes safety even worse if I have to take off my glasses to use safety goggles :/

I mix in the kitchen sink, the stove is right next to the sink, and I put the vent on high. I wear chemical resistant gloves, onion goggles, and a cheap mask. I also turn away, and I always chill my water before mixing, maybe it is my imagination, but I have less fumes with chilled water.

Blue nitrile gloves, jeans, tennis shoes, goggles the whole process (i flicked a drop of batter onto it once. Totally never removing them during the process ever!!! So grateful they were on).

Hot? Tank top or short sleeves. Cold? Long sleeves. No apron.
If hot, I tried long sleeves this past summer. I got so sweaty. Now I wear a comfortable tank, and cover my arms with xtra long man socks I cut the toes out of. I don't get as hot this way. Weird I know.
I turn away from fumes and hold my breath once I see them. I turn to breathe. Tried mixing outside a couple times. Too risky splashing and it heats so fast, it was hot trying to get back inside, plus the risk of tripping or bumping something or someone.
I do it all on the stove and once the fumes escape, they're done...no more after the fact.

So once the mixing is complete and the lye is dissolved there are no more fumes then?

[FONT=&quot]I wear mask, gloves, eye protection, and long sleeves. Also, I cook soap when home alone: no kids, no husband. Don't want to give a chance... may be until I get used to it. My son is very interested in my new hobby...:)[/FONT]

Gloves and goggles on. I hold my breath mix and stir, then put the lid on my pitcher and walk away. I have become pretty quick at it all so holding my breath part isn't hard. I'll crack windows or leave my doors open if the temps are fine enough outside. I leave the room after it's mixed for 5+ minutes. My sister had a horrible experience breathing in the fumes and warned me to be careful, so I always have been.

So once the mixing is complete and the lye is dissolved there are no more fumes then?

The fumes don't last very long, it's only intense for the first minute or so. I've opened the lid after 5 minutes to do a little extra mixing if I see little bits at the bottom. I have never noticed fumes at that point. I don't stick my face in it and breath though, there may be some fumes still going on -- but at that point it's very mild.

I really don't see how someone could breath in the fumes unless you were leaning over the mixing container. If you are arms lengths away from the container, you are safe unless there is a draft and it blows the fumes back at you.

I have however, had the fumes get on my arms and slightly burn. Now I'm careful not to reach over my lye while its making fumes which only lasts 20 seconds or so.

I don't want anyone to think I'm advocating not using safety gear. Its very important to use your gear and I really need to get into the habit of doing so. If anyone else is home or I'm teaching friends how to soap, I'm in full safety gear.

To me, it seems like mixing outside can be more dangerous. Not only do you have to worry about a breeze but then there is the possibility or tripping or dropping the container while its brought back in the house. The furthest I have to move my lye is 3 feet and thats only if its in the sink. Whenever I use additives, I mix in the sink in case there is a reaction or volcano. Like that one time with the wine...

Back