How do you know what size wick to use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emilaid

Reaction score
Hi there!
I've been making soap for 6 months now and have decided to make up some gift baskets for family and friends for Christmas, but I think it will be a nice touch to put in some handmade candles aswell.
I've been looking at some websites for what to order and, if I'm being totall honest, I came away completely confused!!
I've decided to make some container candles, but don't know what size of wick to order!

What does it depend on?

Thanks in advance to all who answer!

Wick sizes depend on the type of wax your going to be using.The size and diameter of the container.Those are the biggies.When that's known you work on the wick size itself and tabs.

http://www.onestopcandle.com/candle/wickchart.php

This is just a quick example of what to look for.
Most suppliers offer you the pre tabbed,pretreated wick (They prime the wick).All you have to do is determine is the type of wax and container size.

For your project,you want the container wax.Suppliers give descriptions of the different blends available.And you need to make sure that the wax you choose is compatible with the wicks.

If you need help just ask.Plenty of people here to help you out.

Good luck..

Munky.

choosing the wick is not so simple, unfortunately. get a sample set of the wick type recommended by the wax manufacturer (or based on recommendations on forums!) and then try a few sizes to see what suits best. It's really a trial and error thing at first.

it depends on the wax, the container size and material, the FO, and the colorant.

Latest posts

Back