How do you do the decorative tops

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmi

Reaction score
I've tried to do the textured decorative top twice and both times mine did not come out. I pour at medium trace and have waited a few minutes before trying to decorate the top with a spoon but it barely looks like I did anything and mostly flattens out after a few minutes. Should I wait longer or should I be pouring at heavier trace?

Depending on what stage of trace, I usually just pour into the mold and wait until it's set up enough to do the textured tops. Sometimes that's immediately, sometimes it's a few minutes to up to a half hour. I just nudge a bit of it somewhere in the middle to see if it's set up enough to do what I want. I usually use the back of a tablespoon to do mine - and cover up my nudges when it's really ready.

Kazmi -- I totally get where you're at. It's hard for me to wait long enough so the batter has the right consistency. I'm not sure the problem is precisely when you pour the batter as much as how long you wait after pouring to get the right consistency, as Paillo explained. Also, I have been using the CPOP method, and I'm finding that the textured tops tend to flatten out as the soap gels in the oven, so that adds another layer of complexity.

It is hard to be patient, but I found that I have to wait until the batter is the consistency of cold pudding before the texture will stay.

yeah, doesn't really matter what the consistency is when you pour it into the mold. You have to wait for the soap to set up a bit in the mold before trying to texture. If you try and it doesn't work, wait a little longer then try again. :)

I usually pour and just wait around until it gets think enough. I use a spoon or sometimes a mini wisk to get textured tops.

I CP and try to avoid textured tops because I use a slab mold and want smooth tops. But I have found that when trace reaches a medium thick pudding texture I can start making designs on the top. I get a really thick trace with my SB. Mine's pretty powerful. I have the Hamilton Beach 225 watt 2 speed hand blender. I can reach medium thick trace even with a high olive oil soap batter in about a minute. A bastile batch will take about 2-4 minutes. No kidding. So I generally do short bursts.

Thanks everyone! yup, it's just me being impatient and probably still a little nervous that I'm gonna mess things up. I did a really pretty gold mica swirl this past weekend and wanted to add the texture to it. But finally had to give up so that I would at least still have SOME of the gold swirl left. Now I have a good reason to make more soap. I need more practice LOL ;)

Latest posts

Back