How Do I Clean Silicone Molds?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungryhawaiian

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced an oily, sticky film in silicone molds? What about mica residue? lIf so, how do you go about cleaning it?

I was gifted several silicone molds and a couple of them have that oily film that just regular washing doesn’t seem to clean off. The red silicone molds from Essential Depot even have mica residue that isn’t coming out easily....

I have not had this happen with my molds, but all mine were brand new to start. However, even when I used lanolin or Vaseline as a release agent inside my small individual molds (the ones with lots of intricate detail), no residual residue sticks around after a simple warm soapy water washing in my kitchen sink.

Some people put theirs in the dishwasher, but I have never tried that. If your's were gifted to you, though, it's worth a try if you have a dish washing machine.

Has anyone experienced an oily, sticky film in silicone molds? What about mica residue? lIf so, how do you go about cleaning it?

I was gifted several silicone molds and a couple of them have that oily film that just regular washing doesn’t seem to clean off. The red silicone molds from Essential Depot even have mica residue that isn’t coming out easily....

I second what dean said give em a wipe then spray some rubbing alcohol on a paper towel and rub down mine do go in dishwasher when i really cba but iv stopped doing that as much as i was doing because i was bothered about it blocking the dishwasher

I have this problem too. I wash with normal detergent then soak for half hour or so in dilute hot lye water, about a tablespoon of sodium hydroxide to a washing up bowl of hot water. It doesn't fizz up at that dilution rate. The residual oil quite quickly seems to form a soapy scum on the surface of the water, then I take the moulds out and rinse under hot running water - squeaky clean. Seems logical to me as sodium hydroxide turns oil to soap so it would have the same effect on oily residue. I've only been doing this for a few weeks - don't know why I didn't think of it before.

I have not had this happen with my molds, but all mine were brand new to start. However, even when I used lanolin or Vaseline as a release agent inside my small individual molds (the ones with lots of intricate detail), no residual residue sticks around after a simple warm soapy water washing in my kitchen sink. .

Can you tell me how you do This? Do you just rub a bit of lanolin inside each time? Other? Thanks much!

Can you tell me how you do This? Do you just rub a bit of lanolin inside each time? Other? Thanks much!

I dip my fingers into the lanolin (a great skin softener, BTW) or Vaseline and then just rub it into inside of the molds, making sure to get all the crevices. Yes, I do it each time I plan to make a soap in a very intricate individual mold. I wash them after each use, as well, unless I know I'll be making soap in them immediately. Then I may wait until after the next use to wash them. But I never let my molds sit unwashed for more than a day or so because I don't want oils to go rancid inside my molds.

Latest posts

Back