How can I make my soap harder, so it won't melt so easy?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoraTina

Reaction score
I've been looking for a post which address this issue of my soap melting so easy when someone uses my soap. My question is what can I use I use SL in my soap, is there something I'm missing?

What kinds of oils are you using in your formula?

DeeAnna has an awesome post regarding this:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showpost.php?p=383997&postcount=17

Some of the above linked post might seem at first that it doesn't apply to your question, but if you read through the whole thing, your question will be answered.

IrishLass :)

Also, the longer your soap cures, the harder it will get, making it last longer. You might try adding sodium lactate or plain white table salt to the recipe. My cp soap never lasts as long as a commercial bar. I think some companies may use some kind of press to compact the soap.

Without your recipe it's hard to guess, but it's probably one of the following: too much oils that contribute to soft bar, insufficient cure time, way too high SF%.

Palm, tallow and lard will help with longer lasting bars. I use palm and tallow or lard and my bars will last approx 30 showers. 100% Coconut oil soap is very water soluble which is why it will lather in salt water but the bar will not last long.

Last edited:
ok, another angle - do you have a good soap dish? or does your soap sit in a puddle of water? it maybe a silly question, but i've actually had people ask me why my soaps melt so fast, and didn't realize that if you leave your soap in water it would melt.

Latest posts

Back