HOORAY! SATURDAY IS SOAP (THE GREAT REVEAL - UPDATED PICS)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What a beautiful day to make soap! It's about 60 degrees, raining a little and its Saturday. Weekend life is so good. I slept late and now am happily planning Saturday's Kitchen Conquest. Appropriately attired, my soap plan is being developed. It has been on my mind for several days. Stay tuned.
IMG_0788.jpg

I don't know which is more awesome, the rubber ducky pj pants or the sock monkey socks. I can't wait to see what you come up with this weekend :D

I almost thought you weren't Saturday soaping when you hadn't posted by 7 am. My kids love the sock monkey Kiki I've had since I was a kid.

AmyW said:
I don't know which is more awesome, the rubber ducky pj pants or the sock monkey socks. I can't wait to see what you come up with this weekend :D

Personally, I am LOVING the pink flamingo top!

I love your soaping attire. Does your wife have to put on sunglasses when you walk into the room? :lol:

Seriously, I really do like it especially the yellow duckie pants. It's perfect for a rainy Saturday. This post cheered me up.

a flare for fashion...that color coordination isn't easy to pull off you know.

Thank you all. Scouter, glad you are active with scouts. Great experiences for me through the years as an ASM. Lot's of stories. Would do it again.

What a wonderful day it has been! As said before, got a late start but it turned out to be a good thing. Before starting to make soap a trip to the cheese farm about 30-40 minutes away was necessary. What a yummy road trip. DD went with me. She's 15. We brought home 3 different cheeses, breakfast bread and a big block of cheese fudge. If you are ever in the Elberta, Alabama area, be sure and stop at the Sweet Home Farm. They're only open on Friday and Saturday from 10-5. They have their own dairy herd, make all of their cheese. No additives, labor intensive old school cheese making.

On the way home my dear daughter started asking me about soap. We talked for a few miles and she let me know that if I hadn't been getting up at 3 in the morning she might have been interested in helping. :shock: So much for the early riser.
Once at home more delays. It was necessary to visit a fav mexican restaurant for lunch and then buy up most of the milk in the area for the bottomless teenage son who will drink nothing but milk. Finally home, we talked about soap some more.

Dad - "Hey son, wanna help make soap?"

Son - "noimbusymumblemumblebikeoutsiderainmumblemumblecomputerstuffstuffmumblemumble."

Dad - "The daughter?"

Daughter - "Suurrrre!"

This put a whole new light on the hobby. She even talked about making all kinds of different soap when we were riding home and now I'm getting excited at the possibility of spending this kind of time with my daughter. In the past, I felt a bit guilty because of all the time spent away with my son in boy scout activities. Our troop was so busy that most months were tied up every weekend during the school year. Lots of weekends gone from Friday night to Sunday afternoon and also went to summer camps.

ANYWAY, I started going over the process, showed her how soap calc worked and let her come up with color and fragrance. Oh boy. She liked the blue and white from last week and chose brick red and white with almond pastry FO.

Pardon my manners. I am happy to introduce darling daughter, future soaper to the stars! She's the one on the left. :D

IMG_0794.jpg

You'll be happy to know that she already knew about gloves and safety glasses and yes she did have shoes on once started. She even brought out the vinegar just in case.
I let her weigh out everything and check it off except the lye. I weighed that out and poured it while she stirred.

IMG_0801.jpg

She did quite well and showed remarkable patience for a 15 year old.

IMG_0795.jpg

She was quite confident of her skills with the stick blender having made hundreds of milk shakes at her grandmother's house in the summer.

IMG_0796.jpg

Both of us were so excited about this batch and waiting for trace that we completely forgot about the FO. Trace was evident when I remembered it.

Me - "ARGG, WE FORGOT THE FO, WHERE IS IT?"

She - "WHAT? HUH? I DUNNO! WHAT DID YOU DO WITH IT? WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO? AAAHHHHHHHRRRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!

It wasn't really that bad, but I had forgotten to take it out of the box and then I couldn't find it mixed in with all the others. Finally found it, grabbed it, opened it up and professionally measured it (dumped the whole bottle) into the batter. Ohh boy, quick trace. Time to pour. This was kinda funny because she had poured about half into another container for the red and I was mixing that by hand. Now we start to pour and believe it or not didn't spill a bit or dump it on each other. We were so proud!
She then grabbed a stick and did her swirl thingy which went pretty good. She was happy and liked what she saw.

IMG_0797.jpg

Right now it's in the oven. We might get it out before sleepy time tonight or just leave it until tomorrow morning.

By the way, many of you witnessed my liner snit last week. I am happy to announce that I took some wonderful advice given by Bubbles Galore (Thanks Jenny!) and USED THE SAME ONE OVER AGAIN. If you look closely at the picture of the mold you can see some blue left on the liner from last week. :D You can teach an old dog new tricks. :p More to come.

Dennis -

I really enjoyed your account of your soaping day and I'm happy for you that your daughter is interested in learning. too. You're very lucky. I enjoy soaping but sometimes I wish I had someone who was interested in learning. I loved the pics.

BTW, did you tell your daughter that not only is she making soap, she's also doing chemistry? :wink:

Also, since your daughter is helping you, does this mean your wife AKA lovely assistant is still fired and banned from the kitchen? :lol:

Hazel said:
Dennis -

I really enjoyed your account of your soaping day and I'm happy for you that your daughter is interested in learning. too. You're very lucky. I enjoy soaping but sometimes I wish I had someone who was interested in learning. I loved the pics.

BTW, did you tell your daughter that not only is she making soap, she's also doing chemistry? :wink:

Also, since your daughter is helping you, does this mean your wife AKA lovely assistant is still fired and banned from the kitchen? :lol:

Thanks Hazel.

Yes, I explained the saponification process but didn't go too far. She's taking chemistry in school and seems to enjoy it.

Wife, lovely assistant, mysterious far eastern critter saviour and sometime soap photographer is no longer banned from the kitchen. She has been quite busy lately but has promised to take up her camera again. :wink:

Dennis said:
Hazel said:
Dennis -

Thanks Hazel.

Yes, I explained the saponification process but didn't go too far. She's taking chemistry in school and seems to enjoy it.

Wife, lovely assistant, mysterious far eastern critter saviour and sometime soap photographer is no longer banned from the kitchen. She has been quite busy lately but has promised to take up her camera again. :wink:

I'm glad to hear she's no longer banned. It sounds like everyone is going to have fun on "Soaperday" :D

Except maybe your son.

Latest posts

Back