homemade "vicks"?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkd.veronica

Reaction score
So I tried an experiment today, and checking in with you guys. Hubby gets congested like you wouldn't believe. Obviously, snoring is a huge issue as well. Today he asked me to pick up some Vicks. I offered to make some & he agreed to try it. I mixed some shea butter & avocado oil with eucalyptus & peppermint EOs. He likes it, but the true test will be tonight!!

My question for you guys: have you tried anything like this before? If so, how did it work? Other recipe ideas would be appreciated as well. TIA!!

I used menthol crystals in mine. I added them to the melted oils & beeswax. (I made a non-petroleum salve base that's the same consistency as Vicks.)

I recieved one in a swap a few years back. I do not know what was in it, but it was in stick form, like a lotion bar tube. I liked the idea behind it.

mandolyn--I will try to find some of those. I just used what I had on hand. I offered to use some beeswax to make it more "firm" like Vicks, but he liked the idea of it being used as a rub on sore muscles as well.

Tabitha--another great idea! I'll pose that to hubby as well.

I ended up adding a couple of drops of Tea Tree oil as well. Doesn't work quite the same, but it was ok. In fact, my daughter "stole" a pot of it for her friend who enjoys her shoulder rubs. And my sis wants another pot for her hubby. He likes Vicks as a back rub ointment, but not the sticky feeling left behind. I have stumbled upon a new product for my family....and all from my hubby's nasty snoring habit!!

mandolyn said:
I used menthol crystals in mine. I added them to the melted oils & beeswax. (I made a non-petroleum salve base that's the same consistency as Vicks.)

thats the key ingredient for vicks.... i think they might add some essential oils like peppermint/eucalyptus but for the "bang" its alllll menthol :)

Latest posts

Back