Homemade soap beveler

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Ziegler

Circle Z soaps
Reaction score
I just finished the wood part of my beveler and as soon as I get the blade mounted, it will be ready to go. Saved some money and got a better product. Any comments or questions are welcome.

Attachments

• 20200622_132630_compress99.jpg
    20200622_132630_compress99.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 54
I have a question, how do you bevel with it? I don't see a guide to give the appropriate bevel. I have one like that as a planer. It has a guide to use as a beveler. I don't use it but I have it. I still like my potato peeler. :)

I have a question, how do you bevel with it? I don't see a guide to give the appropriate bevel. I have one like that as a planer. It has a guide to use as a beveler. I don't use it but I have it. I still like my potato peeler. :)
I have a 90° router bit that I will make a groove in the wood for guiding it. You can do it freehand but the groove will help. It is not completely done. Just wanted to show it off.

Good job. Definitely beats using a old hand planner like I've done in the past.

I'd really like to see how you mount the blade once its done.

Good job. Definitely beats using a old hand planner like I've done in the past.

I'd really like to see how you mount the blade once its done.
Here's a picture of the blade and mounting equipment. The brass are threaded inserts, which I will drill a pilot hole for and then screw them in, which will allow me to use the bolts to hold the blade tight for whatever depth I set. I will send you a picture of it when I complete it tomorrow. I have a friend who is going to put some grooves in it that will help me keep it square.

Attachments

• 20200622_131154_compress47.jpg
    20200622_131154_compress47.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 48
Here's a picture of the blade and mounting equipment. The brass are threaded inserts, which I will drill a pilot hole for and then screw them in, which will allow me to use the bolts to hold the blade tight for whatever depth I set. I will send you a picture of it when I complete it tomorrow. I have a friend who is going to put some grooves in it that will help me keep it square.

Looks great. Good luck with it.
Don’t want to be negative but I had one that had a metal blade that eventually rusted and that made me worry about DOS so I got an acrylic one. I also had trouble making the blade 100% square - not a problem for bevels but annoying when using it as a plane

That looks soo good. Much better than the one I had my hub make, which was just a beveler (no planer) and that thing was HUGE!! LOL
I eventually bought one that is similar to yours, but have since stopped beveling my soaps, and I only plane if I cut too soon and get the wire bumps that need to be planed out.

I so admire anyone who can make their own tools! I ordered a beveler/planer but it won't arrive before August which is so annoying!

I admire diy and great craftsmanship. Looks really good, Todd. Maybe one day I’ll attempt it myself. Where did you purchase the blade?

I admire diy and great craftsmanship. Looks really good, Todd. Maybe one day I’ll attempt it myself. Where did you purchase the blade?
Here's the link for the blade.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HRX38VT/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_vIH8EbVPKWE72
Looks great. Good luck with it.
Don’t want to be negative but I had one that had a metal blade that eventually rusted and that made me worry about DOS so I got an acrylic one. I also had trouble making the blade 100% square - not a problem for bevels but annoying when using it as a plane
I have the same worries as you do, that is why I ordered a piece of 1/4 inch acrylic. I'm going to make a blade out of it. After I test it, to see if it works any better than the one's you can buy online, we may build a few to sell.
That looks soo good. Much better than the one I had my hub make, which was just a beveler (no planer) and that thing was HUGE!! LOL
I eventually bought one that is similar to yours, but have since stopped beveling my soaps, and I only plane if I cut too soon and get the wire bumps that need to be planed out.
That's basically my intention for this one. It seems that bevelers/planers are either loved or hated by people on the forums. I just like making a good bar of soap with some eye appeal and if this works great, if not, no harm done.

That's basically my intention for this one. It seems that bevelers/planers are either loved or hated by people on the forums. I just like making a good bar of soap with some eye appeal and if this works great, if not, no harm done.
Exactly. I still have mine, and I do use it occasionally. It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. :)

Exactly. I still have mine, and I do use it occasionally. It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. :)
Well put!
My planer has been well used for two years and the stainless steel blade has not rusted.
My blade is not stainless steel. I had to order it and it hasn't come in yet. But it is exactly like this one.

I'd be worried about those steel blades rusting. For wood working, you don't really need to clean the blade with water, but my planer blade needs to be wiped down frequently.

I'd be worried about those steel blades rusting. For wood working, you don't really need to clean the blade with water, but my planer blade needs to be wiped down frequently.
That's why remove the blade and wipe it down with 99% isopropyl alcohol and then dry it. I have steel knife blades that never rust because I clean and dry them properly when they get wet.

Back