High Oliec Cannola Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapSap

Reaction score
I have read on this forum that Cannola oil can contribute to DOS. I assume that does not however hold true for high oleochemicals Cannola oil. Is this assumption correct?

I saw a great price at GFS (restaurant food supplier) on high oleic Cannola oil and would like to substitute olive oil for this. Does this sound like a good idea? Any reasons for not making this substitution?

@cmzaha will hopefully weigh in because I know she uses HO Canola. I'm not sure if she has her recipe formulated based on acid profiles or just "this works" amounts. I have read on this forum about others using Canola and balancing the linolenic/linolec profiles to a certain number. If you search the forum using Google there are a number of posts regarding canola https://www.google.de/search?q=soap...bAhUJG5oKHYrrCBwQrQIINCgEMAA&biw=1440&bih=809

I would spend the time looking for a post within the last year or so, some of these are several years old so may not have our most current experiences noted.

:lol: It works!! For years I used regular Canola at 15-20% in my recipes, but I did not add in other high linolenic/linolec oils and it worked just fine for me. In fact I still have a couple of old bars 2yrs at least that do not have dos. Since my go to recipes do not use higher than 20% liquid oils so realistically I could still use my regular Canola. When using high Canola I would go with HO just to be safe

I changed to HO when I quit with OO, that I do not like. I did recently poured a 100% Canola HO bar trying to replace a long aged 100% OO and it is looking promising.

HO oils should be quite similar to olive oil. I did get some DOS in the canola/soy oil soap I made, but the distribution of it makes me think it was the lard I added as superfat. The oil was used for frying donuts several years ago and I wanted to use it up, so I soaped at zero SF and added a little lard after the cook. The DOS showed up as streaks and stripes -- the soap was too dry and didn't make really nice bars either, so I think it was poorly mixed lard causing the trouble.

Every soap I made with that batch of lard discolored eventually, some of it so bad I tossed it. I now add BHT to my soap along with citric acid and so far no DOS.

I have some test bars I made with 100% HO safflower oil -- perfectly white and nice six months or more later.

Back