Hi !!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Reaction score
Hi everyone my name is Aaron and I'm from upstate new york I'm a 35 year old male and I'm new to soap making and have foun tons of info here on the soap making forum. After lurking for some time I decided today was the day to join up. As far as soap making is concerned I am very green and soap making has been a new passion of mine. I'm very much so into self reliance and I am also a Professional organic Brewer ( beer ) and Vinter ( wine ). I thank all of you in advance for your patience with a new soap maker looking to learn. :smile:

Welcome! Your beer and wine will pair nicely with soap making!! I have been soaping for a little while now, but just started to do some home brewing with my husband! I love the way you can use different components of the beer making process in so many ways!

Welcome! Your beer and wine will pair nicely with soap making!! I have been soaping for a little while now, but just started to do some home brewing with my husband! I love the way you can use different components of the beer making process in so many ways!

That's great !!! I'll assume you and your husband are starting out doing extract batches of beer ( opposed to all-grain ). you can make great quality beer with extract dme or lme. If you ever have questions regarding brewing please feel free to ask me. As to soap making I am looking at doing castile and castile blend soaps and I am not vegan but have reservations about animal fats. It's a weird hang up I have. Thanks for the responses.

Welcome! :wave: I love a good porter, and one day I hope to learn how to make my own beer. For now, my brother is the family brewer. I'm a little obsessed with the first beer soap I made...it was the first recipe I "created" in soap calc, and it turned out great! Looking forward to learning from you as well!

Hi Aaron,

Welcome to the forum! I was thinking the same thing about the beer and wine that pjfan74 mentioned in the above post. It would be great to be able to make your own to use in soap. :grin:

Hi Aaron,

Welcome to the forum! I was thinking the same thing about the beer and wine that pjfan74 mentioned in the above post. It would be great to be able to make your own to use in soap. :grin:

Absolutely there are a few aspects of brewing that could be incorporated into soap making. The trub which is the silky yeast and sediment layer formed by active fermentation which is high in B vitamins. The beer or wort ( unfermented beer ) the hops which are a aromatic plant that have a unique scent and antibacterial qualities ad the grain itself which milled and spent could be used for a exfoliant. Lastly you could make soap while drinking a beer !!

Hi Aaron welcome to the forum. Looking toward the day you are using your own wine and beer in your blends!

Absolutely there are a few aspects of brewing that could be incorporated into soap making. The trub which is the silky yeast and sediment layer formed by active fermentation which is high in B vitamins. The beer or wort ( unfermented beer ) the hops which are a aromatic plant that have a unique scent and antibacterial qualities ad the grain itself which milled and spent could be used for a exfoliant. Lastly you could make soap while drinking a beer !!

I actually did a lot of this yesterday! Had a beer while making soap, milled some grain and used it as an exfoliant in my barley wine soap, and saved wort from the elderflower Hef. That's in our primary as of last night...hope to soap with that tomorrow!

Aschecte - actually, our first couple of batches were all grain, since then we've been mixing it up with extracts every once in a while...however, I have developed a deep passion for bread made from the spent grains and so I need to always have spent grain on hand! My kitchen was out of control as of last night! Beer in the primary and secondary, 6 loaves of warm homemade bread and soap doing its thing in the mold...

Hi Aaron welcome to the forum. Looking toward the day you are using your own wine and beer in your blends!

I'm looking foward to it but as they say walk before you run .... I'm still getting ahold of the process of soap making and only have two batchs under me of cold pressed OO,PO,and CO that I mixed lavender into at trace and essential oil. I still have 3 weeks until it's ready and another that's 100% OO. To use my beer would I just mix the sodium hydroxide with the beer instead of distilled water or do I somehow calculate the beer in at trace ? Sorry I know this is probably not the place to ask questions but now I'm highly interested. :smile:

I'm looking foward to it but as they say walk before you run .... I'm still getting ahold of the process of soap making and only have two batchs under me of cold pressed OO,PO,and CO that I mixed lavender into at trace and essential oil. I still have 3 weeks until it's ready and another that's 100% OO. To use my beer would I just mix the sodium hydroxide with the beer instead of distilled water or do I somehow calculate the beer in at trace ? Sorry I know this is probably not the place to ask questions but now I'm highly interested. :smile:

I have always used beer at 100 percent substitute for the distilled water...but make sure your beer is really flat and that you add the sodium hydroxide very slowly! I've never tried adding the beer at trace...

Latest posts

Back