Hi from South Africa

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypsybaron

Reaction score
Hi all, I was busy looking for an answer to why my glycerine soap (made from scratch) comes out yellowish, and I happened on this forum. My wife and I just recently started this hobby, but hopefully it will turn into a more regular source of income. May I add - making our own soap is quite a lot of fun!

Welcome to the forum. My homemade M&P base has a slight yellowish cast also. Soap dye might disguise the yellow if it is not too pronounced.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gif
Gypsybaron.

Thanks all.
I ran a small batch again, and realised that the SLES is the culprit. With my next batch I want to cook it a bit longer (longer trace stadium) to see if that helps, but I ran out of glycol and must order some first

Hi and welcome Gypsybaron. I am also from South Africa. I have a recipe that does not include SLES or Glycol, but rather a more natural base and glycerine if you are interested. It is HP method and did not colour yellow when I made it.

Hi and welcome Gypsybaron. I am also from South Africa. I have a recipe that does not include SLES or Glycol, but rather a more natural base and glycerine if you are interested. It is HP method and did not colour yellow when I made it.

Thanks Magic, where are you based? We are in Hartbeespoort and just recently started this, so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks Magic, where are you based? We are in Hartbeespoort and just recently started this, so any help will be appreciated.
I am in Centurion. I will help anyway I can.
This is the recipe if you would like to try it

Castor Oil 144 grams
Coconut Oil 144 grams
Palm Oil 144 grams
Stearic Acid 18 grams
Distilled Water 160 grams
Lye 66.04 grams
After Cook: 450 grams Glycerin
Method
Melt the oils in the microwave before putting them in the crock pot, add lye solution (almost the full amount of water suggested by my lye calculator) and use a whisk to stir. It comes to trace quickly, most likely due to the stearic acid. Stir soap every 15 minutes or so while cooking in the crock pot (on low). After 45 minutes, you could see the edges start to gel (applesauce stage). Cook the soap for a total of 1 hour, or until it has no zap. Then add the glycerine and mix all together. Cook and stir it every 15 minutes for another 30 to 45 minutes on low, until everything was clear and melted. The added glycerine does not cut the lather. This recipe lathers well. Use as you would any other melt and pour to colour and fragrance at will.

I hope this helps you. Let me know how it goes.
Regards Magic7M

Thanks Magic, the weekend lies ahead and I'll try your recipe then. Is your lye solution a 50/50 solution?

We usually only do the glycerine soaps, because our customers prefer a clear (see-through) soap and the recipe I have gives a very nice colour once we get past the "yellowish" stage.

Latest posts

Back