Hi from France

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xmasdeer

Reaction score
I moved to France from Australia, last December, and have spent many months going to classes to learn the language to pass exams to enable me to live here permanently. It is quite a difficult language but eventually I hope to be able to speak it. This language barrier means I cannot easily be employed and so spend a lot of time at home. I have always been very crafty, sewing, making wedding cakes, creating web sites and complex administration systems for businesses.

I decided to start making my own soap because store soap makes the whole family itch with dry skin. My claim is legit, my teenage son's maybe but I am also certain he thinks water will clean him and has no need for soap!

I have made some good batches of soap, trying to find an economical recipe to use more often for gifts, and fell in love with the colours and swirls, which made me want to make more. I am yet to perfect the colour matching and swirling, it is not as easy as it appears to be by those far more experienced, but I will persist.

I think I can spend a lot of time on this forum, but greatful that we can ask questions and receive answers from those more experienced, kind of like karma for me, as I used to be very active on forums for accounting software programs in Australia, now it is time for me to learn instead of teach.

Many thanks to you all.

I moved to France from Australia, last December, and have spent many months going to classes to learn the language to pass exams to enable me to live here permanently. It is quite a difficult language but eventually I hope to be able to speak it. This language barrier means I cannot easily be employed and so spend a lot of time at home. I have always been very crafty, sewing, making wedding cakes, creating web sites and complex administration systems for businesses.

I decided to start making my own soap because store soap makes the whole family itch with dry skin. My claim is legit, my teenage son's maybe but I am also certain he thinks water will clean him and has no need for soap!

I have made some good batches of soap, trying to find an economical recipe to use more often for gifts, and fell in love with the colours and swirls, which made me want to make more. I am yet to perfect the colour matching and swirling, it is not as easy as it appears to be by those far more experienced, but I will persist.

I think I can spend a lot of time on this forum, but greatful that we can ask questions and receive answers from those more experienced, kind of like karma for me, as I used to be very active on forums for accounting software programs in Australia, now it is time for me to learn instead of teach.

Many thanks to you all.

Welcome, xmasdeer, I recently spent 6 days in Paris. It was lovely visiting again. I did not know learning the language was a requirement in order to gain permanent residence. Very interesting! I studied French in school, but discovered on my first trip to France in the previous century that high school French just did not prepare me for conversation in country. By this time, I barely remembered any of it. While in College I was able to understand my French friends, but alas, that was over 3 decades ago and I no longer have any French speaking friends nearby.

Latest posts

Back