Hey all i'm new and in need of some Help!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misschaotic

Reaction score
Hey Guys my name is Donna i've been lurking around here for some time and i'm so new to the soap making thing i haven't even tried it yet just waiting for all my supplies... The thing is i really want to make handmade soap (now i know by defintion M&P is technically handmade) But i really want to get into the thick of it all, but this discounting water thing has me so confused that i'm almost giving up hope.. I've watched tutorials and i've read so much info my brain is on overload, it can't be that hard surely?

What i really need is someone to show me but i live in melbourne, australia and every course on soap making that i have found is in N.S.W. what i'm trying to say is there anyone here from vic who would be willing to teach me the basics???

And after this long and boring introduction on me and my problem i would love to say that you all make the most beautiful creations WOW!!!

Go straight to Soapcalc. Do not pass GO, do not collect..... (well you get the idea.) They already have the most commonly used variables plugged in for you - - the water, and the superfat. From there you just make the adjustments that are right for you. For a beginners purposes, what they have in there would be a fine place to start.

Some things to get started.....

For entering the total number of oz. of oil. Take the length x width x depth of your mold and multiply by .40, that will give you the total oz. of oil needed to fill that mold.

They default to a water percentage of 38%. If you are making a 100% olive oil recipe (Castile) you might want to reduce that to 33%, or else it will take forever to trace and to cure.

They default superfat at 5%. This is a common percentage that a lot of people use. But a lot of us here on the forum who either have dry skin ourselves or soap for other people who do up that to 8-10%. Personal preference.

Amount of fragrance oil usually varies between .5 and 1 oz ppo (per pound of oil) depending on the quality of the fragrance oil and how smelly you like your soaps. With only a few exceptions (almond being one) we like our soaps smelly. I used to go with .5 oz. ppo, but lately I am upping it to 1 oz. ppo.

When you are looking at the hardness quality on the left side of soapcalc, bear in mind that they do not consider olive oil a hard oil, but it actually is. So if your recipe has a high percentage of olive oil, those figures will be off.

This is my small contribution. Due to the generous nature of all the forum members here, I'm sure many many others will be chiming in shortly.

Have a great time soaping. You WILL be addicted soon. I think there should be a 12-step group for soapers. I would need one if I ever wanted to quit.

Becky :)

oldragbagger said:
Go straight to Soapcalc. Do not pass GO, do not collect..... (well you get the idea.) They already have the most commonly used variables plugged in for you - - the water, and the superfat. From there you just make the adjustments that are right for you. For a beginners purposes, what they have in there would be a fine place to start.

Some things to get started.....

For entering the total number of oz. of oil. Take the length x width x depth of your mold and multiply by .40, that will give you the total oz. of oil needed to fill that mold.

They default to a water percentage of 38%. If you are making a 100% olive oil recipe (Castile) you might want to reduce that to 33%, or else it will take forever to trace and to cure.

They default superfat at 5%. This is a common percentage that a lot of people use. But a lot of us here on the forum who either have dry skin ourselves or soap for other people who do up that to 8-10%. Personal preference.

Amount of fragrance oil usually varies between .5 and 1 oz ppo (per pound of oil) depending on the quality of the fragrance oil and how smelly you like your soaps. With only a few exceptions (almond being one) we like our soaps smelly. I used to go with .5 oz. ppo, but lately I am upping it to 1 oz. ppo.

When you are looking at the hardness quality on the left side of soapcalc, bear in mind that they do not consider olive oil a hard oil, but it actually is. So if your recipe has a high percentage of olive oil, those figures will be off.

This is my small contribution. Due to the generous nature of all the forum members here, I'm sure many many others will be chiming in shortly.

Have a great time soaping. You WILL be addicted soon. I think there should be a 12-step group for soapers. I would need one if I ever wanted to quit.

Becky :)

Wow! This is great info! I'm a MP kinda guy, but am getting ready to mix up my first CP batch soon. This is good info to have.

Thank you! :D

Hi misschaotic!

Welcome to the club. There is so much to learn. I'm a newbie to the cold process soap world and am anxious to make my first batch.

You will find some really great people here. Always willing to help.

Best of luck on your first try...and make sure you post pictures.

--mike
:D

Latest posts

Back