Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwitte

Reaction score
I am new to soap making but successfully make a pumpkin soap from a recipe. My question is, how do you figure a recipe by yourself? where do you start? How much oils do you use and how many different ones can you use. also, want to whiten some of the soap so I know that takes the titanium dioxide to mix with the oil. How do you know how much it takes to whiten a certain amount? looking for a Christmas recipe using cranberry and I want a white base with red and green swirls on the top. thanks

If you are new to soap making trying to come up with a good working combination of fats and oils through soap calc can be overwhelming.

Your very best option is to go through and find a simple basic three or four fat/oil recipe and then make the red and green colors and the scent that you want.

Until you make soap it is hard to determine exactly what oils etc are right for your skin, or what ratios work in your system etc.

Start basic and start taking great notes to know what you like, and don't like and add from there. If you start out too complicated it is easy to get lost and overwhelmed.

With all due respect, you should never trust any recipe you did not run through a lye calculator for yourself. Typos happen. And I would hate for them to ruin someone's first experience making soap.

If you click on the colored numbers for each section, it will explain what that section is, and how to use it. Just play with the calculator until you feel comfortable using it. Soapcalc appears very intimidating when you are new.(it did to me) Just hang in there, it is actually simple.

Just learning myself, and I'm using the "Keep it simple" approach. My first batch, just one oil. Lard. It made a really nice very white bar. Try lard for a bright white color. Now I change just one thing at a time so I know what change it makes.

Also, soapcalc.

Last edited:
thanks everyone. I did go to soapcalc and that's when it got confusing. lol

Hang in there. It won't take long. I let it intimidate me for the longest time until I got mad at myself. It took me about 5 minutes once I decided I was going to learn it.

And there are other lye calculators that work. I used Brambleberry until I got the hang of Soapcalc. If you are making liquid soap, then there are other calculators that work better.

It looks worse than it is.

I would read through a lot on this site - do searches for "simple recipe" or "beginner recipe" to start with, but also look at what people are suggesting to add to a soap and why. I know that castor increases bubbles when used at about 5% but too much can cause a slimey soap. I know that simply from seeing it time and time again here. Over a short period of time of seeing the help given to others you will see the patterns and get a lot of great knowledge.

Latest posts

Back