Help with Purple

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermanam

Reaction score
I am hoping someone might be ale to help me achieve a nice, deep purple that stays true to color in CP soap. I tried an ITP swirl with white, black, and purple, but my purple morphed to a pinkish coral color when I added the FO (black raspberry vanilla). I'll see what it looks like tomorrow when I cut it, but I am not holding my breath. I used liquid neon purple non-bleeding colorant.

Thoughts??? Thanks for the help.

I am not sure what particular oxides/micas you are using, but I have the same problem.
The last batch I use 2 parts violet and 1 part ultramarine blue. It looked grayish as I was pouring it into the mold...but once it cured it was great!

Hmmm...that gives me hope that maybe a miracle will happen overnight and I will find a beautiful purple shade when I unmold! Pink coral definitely isn't what I was going for. Thanks for sharing!

Meeplesoap, do you have any bleeding or color to the lather? That is an awesome intense purple color.

The Conservatorie's Happy hour purple holds very well. You can use a smaller amount to get a lighter purple and more to get a more intense color. IT doesn't morph.

Thanks newbie...I haven't tried any of the Conservatorie's products yet, so maybe I will give that a try. The reviews on their website are also good for it being stable in cp soap. Thank goodness I made this in a small test batch instead of my usual 5 lb batch. My husband and kids have soooo much "goof soap" as I like to call it. :)

Grrr...I just tried to buy the purple from the Conservatorie and found out the have a $50 minimum order. Soooo...I would love it if some folks could give me some color recommendations that they have used from the Conservatorie that are good and stable in cp soap. If I am going to buy $50 worth of color, I want to get the most bang for our buck :)

Hi! Here is where I obtain most of my colorants: http://celestialcolors.com/ . It is Celestial Colors and their colorants are made for cp soapmaking.

This link shows most of their colors including different shades of blue and purple: http://celestialcolors.com/category_5/all/2oz-amp-8oz-Colorants.php The directions call for using 1/4 th (.25) of a teaspoon per pound of oils. You can also create different shades (like I do) by adding 1/8 + 1/8 to get the 1/4 total. The colors do not fade over time but I do not have them exposed to sunlight so results may vary.

Glenn are these like Labcolors but less concentrated? I like the prices and the shipping to Canada is not bad either. Would you know if they bleed?

I've found that the Conservatorie's Cosmo Martini and a touch of ultramarine blue makes a lovely deep purple that is holding strong.

Glenn are these like Labcolors but less concentrated? I like the prices and the shipping to Canada is not bad either. Would you know if they bleed?

Hi CaraCara! I don't think they are related but I am not certain. My swirl technique is an abomination so I mainly go with solid colors. I have yet to do layering so I am not sure about bleeding. Big help I am in answering your questions! Sorry!:oops: I checked the website and the only mention about bleeding is if you use the colorants for melt and pour soap making. It is made for cp soap so it may not bleed. I like these colorants better than LabColors because a few LabColors I did try morphed into icky shades of gray. :sick:

Glenn,
I checked out your website and you have beautiful soap!! Brilliant colors! And you are quite a poet, also!! Did you achieve these nice colors with Celestial Colors? Do you gel? I also have been striving for a deep purple. It seems to be elusive (like the butterfly of love. {sigh!})

Meeplesoap, do you have any bleeding or color to the lather? That is an awesome intense purple color.

The Conservatorie's Happy hour purple holds very well. You can use a smaller amount to get a lighter purple and more to get a more intense color. IT doesn't morph.

The lather is a lavender color, but no bleeding in previous batches I’ve made. Before gel, it’s an ugly gray lavender, after gel it becomes that great royal purple.

Glenn,
I checked out your website and you have beautiful soap!! Brilliant colors! And you are quite a poet, also!! Did you achieve these nice colors with Celestial Colors? Do you gel? I also have been striving for a deep purple. It seems to be elusive (like the butterfly of love. {sigh!})

THANK YOU! :smile: I did them all using Celestial Colors. Some I did a blend like 1/8 + 1/8 = 1/4 teaspoon per pound of oil ratio. I am mathematically challenged so I go with simple ratios and build them up as to total soap batch weight. I also gel. I had no room in the freezer or refrigerator to prevent it so I decided if it wants to gel so be it and go with the flow. I am always worried about using dark colors for fear of ruining customers washcloths but this never happens - if - if the soap bar undergo a proper curing and drying time.

As for the poetry....that came by accident. I was describing the soap, then wait a day and then go back and re-read it. Oh lordy was it boring. One description ended in a rhyme. How cute, I thought. That evening on the History channel part of a segment of a show was about the old Burma Shave rhyming advertisements on billboards. What a strange coincidence. To shorten this story I went with a rhyming description. Corny as everything but its different! I hope my English teachers and professors do not see this. They will rip me apart! :twisted:

There. No more about me but thank you once again for the nice compliment Aunt Polly!

Latest posts

Back