Help?? Wicks??

Discussion in 'Candle Making Forum' started by Grandma Ruby, Aug 9, 2018 at 12:57 AM.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Aug 9, 2018 at 12:57 AM #1

Grandma Ruby

Grandma Ruby

Grandma Ruby

Hi all
    I have been making candles for years but took a long hiatus. Since beginning again I am having problems with sinkholes, candles not burning properly, even not good scent throw. I am using the Golden 444 soy wax, and I pour in Qt size mason jars. Given this, what wicks would you try?
    Thanks so much!
    Grandma Ruby

2. Aug 9, 2018 at 2:58 AM #2

jcandleattic

jcandleattic

jcandleattic

You are experiencing what most people are using the new soy since about early to mid-2017.
    I don't work with soy, so can't recommend a wick, however if you are not married to using soy, you may want to think about switching. I use paraffin and palm, and haven't run into any of the problems most soy users are having.

3. Aug 9, 2018 at 5:28 PM #3

LilyJo

LilyJo

LilyJo

I used soy on its own and never had a problem until last year when CB135 was discontinued. Since then its been a nightmare to get an even consistant top so we started blending our own mix of waxes and finally I am happy with the finish.

Like JC says, consider different waxes and unfortunately you will need to do countless wick tests.