1. We are helping test out a new project for soapmakers. Soapmaking Friend. If you are interested in providing feedback and help guide this project to include all you want to see in a recipe builder and calculator please PM an Admin or post in the Announcements forum. Your feedback is really needed!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Help?? Wicks??

Discussion in 'Candle Making Forum' started by Grandma Ruby, Aug 9, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Aug 9, 2018 #1

Grandma Ruby

Grandma Ruby

Grandma Ruby

Hi all
    I have been making candles for years but took a long hiatus. Since beginning again I am having problems with sinkholes, candles not burning properly, even not good scent throw. I am using the Golden 444 soy wax, and I pour in Qt size mason jars. Given this, what wicks would you try?
    Thanks so much!
    Grandma Ruby

2. Aug 9, 2018 #2

jcandleattic

jcandleattic

jcandleattic

You are experiencing what most people are using the new soy since about early to mid-2017.
    I don't work with soy, so can't recommend a wick, however if you are not married to using soy, you may want to think about switching. I use paraffin and palm, and haven't run into any of the problems most soy users are having.

3. Aug 9, 2018 #3

LilyJo

LilyJo

LilyJo

I used soy on its own and never had a problem until last year when CB135 was discontinued. Since then its been a nightmare to get an even consistant top so we started blending our own mix of waxes and finally I am happy with the finish.

Like JC says, consider different waxes and unfortunately you will need to do countless wick tests.